what about this cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what about this cage

http://www.cagestore.com/pd_the_rat_retreat_powder.cfm

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

This cage appears way too small. It is only 11 inches in depth. Very cramped for a pair of rats in my opinion. Try something closer to 18 x 30 x 30 if you want happy ratties that are not stressed out by small quarters.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

too small. Notice the HR- that designation is for hamster-rat...although I am going to email Martins and tell them that cage really is too small for even a single rat.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Agreed. Much too small. That one would only be appropriate for temporary juvenile rat housing.

Also, Martin's Cages offers all of their cages with powder coating. If you can find a way to afford it, that's a much better option. The galvanized cages absorb urine smells and will stink to high heaven after a couple of months in my experience. The powder coating prevents that and adds a couple of years to the life of the cage.

As Vlad said, 18 x 30 x 30 is an excellent dimension for which to shoot. Here's a cage calculator to use when figuring how many rats can fit in a cage comfortably: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-23-2010 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Part of the Pack

the ratty calculator is finicky but i have to agree with everyone above me... waaaay to small. i worry that my cages are too small sometimes, but my rat loving friend calls them condos *shrugs*...

i would suggest sticking with the 690 or 695s series for martins...

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

This is the calculator I prefer

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/informat...agecalculator/

don't forget you will also need a cage for the boys at 5 weeks when you separate them out from the females.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Part of the Pack

wow lilspaz that site looks awesome, stealing~!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sweet! I am so using that now to figure out what cage to get THANK YOU!!!!!!!

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

http://www.cagestore.com/pd_l550_reptile.cfm
http://www.cagestore.com/pd_the_kitty_condo_pvc.cfm
http://www.cagestore.com/pd_the_kitty_cabana.cfm
http://www.cagestore.com/pd_the_ferret_bungalow.cfm
ugh these are in my stretched price range what do you think?

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

those all will have bar spacing too big for wee rats.

You should just go with martins

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

The R-680 is a good cage

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Part of the Pack

something just occurred to me (i'm sick so i'm slow today) pastel are you getting rats or mice?

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i have both looking for the rats right now. Have thread on them too but basically i rescued mama and 13 1-3 day old babies when the rescue called me on mon they are in a tote right now and are fine for now but will def need a bigger cagein a fe weeks so i need at least one that can hold the females and one to hold the males too but i dont have a ton of money if i stretch the budget i can get maybe 100 for cages

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Part of the Pack

mmmm, have you searched amazon for cages? you can always ghetto rig a cage by surrounding it with hardware cloth to keep costs down if you have tah babies...

but you have to be thorough cause those little kiddies can get out quick.

i'll have to check you other post i must have missed it >.<

i'm clearly on here waaaay too much

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Part of the Pack

i mean get the larger cage and wrap it in hardware cloth until they get big enough, then you just take it off and wallah! full size cage... just a suggestion...

will you be able to afford vet care? or is the shelter helping you out with that for now?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I saw this on craiglist in your general area:

http://evansville.craigslist.org/for/2119703557.html

You'd have to wrap it in hardware cloth so the rats can't get out of the 1 inch bars. It seems like it has some damage and I dont' know if it has the ramp that's supposed to come with it, but it /is/ a ferret nation for super cheap. I'm of a mind if you're going to have to modify a cage anyway because the bars are too wide, why pay full price on the original cage? But, I'd make sure it's in good enough shape for you.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.