What are the chances that they're pregnant? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

What are the chances that they're pregnant?

Okay, so my husband prefers female rats (I totally don't) and we've lost both of his females recently. So anyway, he fell in love with these two adult female rats, one PEW, and one black irish and brought them home. I must say I more or less approve, they're very sweet and cuddly for girlies.

Here's the problem, the black one has spent the whole week at the store in a big cage with 7 other rats including one adult and one juvenile male. The white one gave birth 6 weeks ago and had not yet been separated from her six week old male off spring. What are the chances that either or both are pregnant? At this point there are no obvious signs. Neither one of them are aggressive. They have been doing a little nesting but no more than my boys do when they're put in a new cage. Neither one of them look just ridiculously fat. But I guess that just could be because it's early. When will they start showing if they are? Should I go ahead and start extra protein in case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

If their prego they shouldnt show till near the end, it depends really if they were in season in the cage at the petstore.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well don't they go into heat about once every four or five days? The black rat was in the cage witht he males for over a week. And the white one has been kept with all her babies since they were born six weeks ago. So they would have had to go into heat during that time wouldn't they? Maybe more than once, right?

If they were in heat during the time they were with boys does that mean they're pretty much definitely pregnant, or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM

most likely

Tags
female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats