What do I do?! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, I know how you feel. It is hard to see one of your rats picking on his brother.

We ended up having to neuter Maximus, the brother of Achilles, as he was so out of control with picking on his brother and after much deliberation and advice from some people on the forum like Storyseeker, etc, we finally had Maximus neutered.

He calmed way down and he and his brother are now buddies with no bullying. BUT, Lilspaz is of course right when she says that just because there may be some bullying or scuffles that you do not neccessarily have to rush off to the vet for a neuter. The "no blood, no foul" thing is a good rule of thumb. Ratties DO have their alpha/beta squabbles and so forth, and it can be a gray area sometimes when you are trying to decide how much of the squabbling is too much or not. So I feel for your situation, really! It can be a hard one.

Keep us posted on how it goes?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

The scuffles... Bram makes a LOT of noise. But I caught Edgar shimmying under where Bram was hiding from him and huddling all close to the ground like he was apologizing =P
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

YES! Exactly.

Achilles, our boy that was getting picked on by his brother Maximus, has always been the "I'm a lover, not a fighter" cuddle bug who is so mellow and just wants to be loved all the time and Maximus (our boy who got neutered) always has a swagger about him, like he is trying to be the tough, leather jacket wearing dude,

BUT....we have seen him get a bit annoying to his brother at times and Achilles will suddenly turn, and pin Maximus to the ground easily and Maximus will suddenly be on his back with his footies in the air, like he is saying, "Okay, sorry!!...unpin me and let me up!"

Ha ha. So, even though Maximus tries to be tough, his love bug brother seems to actually be the alpha.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well I'm shocked.. Bram's healed amazingly well. It didn't look like this yesterday; I was shocked when I checked him this morning. Also... photo hogging by Edgar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skin Slice Healing April 2013.jpg (62.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bram Shoulder April 2013.jpg (67.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Head Scratch April 2013.jpg (62.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Rolling Over April 2013.jpg (63.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Relaxed Scratch April 2013.jpg (63.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 04-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is great! Rats are so fast to heal from things like this. I am not surprised it started to heal up fast.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I also made sure to give him extra moisture-rich foods.. I figured the more hydrated his skin was, the faster he'd heal. Not like his skin is dry or anything.. I just figured to be safe.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, I remember one of the forum members (Lilspaz? Storyseeker?) long ago posting about how she gives her ratties some olive oil on a small chunk of bread about once a week, to keep their skin and coat nice and ever since, I have always done that with my ratties. Once or twice a week I put a little olive oil on a small chunk (one for each rat of course) of grain bread or whole wheat, etc, and the bread soaks up the oil nicely and boy do my ratties LOVE it. Of course! Probably tastes delicious!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

That's a neat idea.. I just used baby food, lol At least somebody likes that nasty green pea....
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh yeah, baby food is great! And my boys loooove their Gerber Green Peas baby food! They also like banana baby food and sweet potato baby food. I always put "sprinkles" on it in their dish for them. The "sprinkles" are dry rolled oats.

My boys love it!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith