What do you feed your ratties - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

What do you feed your ratties

I've been trying to find a lab block brand that my rats WILL eat. I have tried a few different brands but they won't touch the stuff. I was wondering what you feed your rats. And what levels of protein are best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i have rat blocks, seeds mix, and puppy food. they do well

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

What brand of lab blocks? I have my rats on kitten food and grain mix right now. I tried buying lab blocks but my rats won't dare touch it. I think it is because it was alfafa based so I was thinking about getting a soy based block but it was 23% protein and I don't know if thats too high for the rats. I know it is for my mice.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i have no idea what brand the rat block are, sorry but the puppy food is purina pro plan. the seeds are just the typical rodent seed mix

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I give them a seed mix, lab blocks, and leftovers from dinner(mainly breads, pasta, fruits, and veggies).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 AM
RAT ADDICT

My rats get a homemade mix which I make myself...it contains different kinds of nuts,grains,dried fruits,cereals...etc.I get my ingrediants at "The Bulk Barn",because buying in bulk is cheap and that way you KNOW what is in your mix.Pet store foods are not good for rats.Along with the mix they get lab blocks,I use "Nutriblock" mainly.

I also give them bread,crackers,peas,cooked corn,rice,pasta (both dry and cooked),veggies and fruits...etc.I give them bits of what I am eating alot too.Oh they also get some fish,abit of chicken or turkey or egg for protein.They can also have peanut butter,but it must be spread out very thin,as rats have been known to choke.My rats only get PB as an occassional treat,thinly spread on bread.Oh and I give them papaya chunks as treats.

Cat and dog food contain too much protein and should only be fed in small amounts.

Here is a link on rat diet...
the Rat Report

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Part of the Pack

Ive never given my rats lab blocks. I buy them gourmet rat food.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl
Ive never given my rats lab blocks. I buy them gourmet rat food.
Me too! I give them Oxbow "Regal Rat". Plus some seed mix for variety, but I make sure the Oxbow is most of their diet, and of course I give them lots of yummy treats too.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Rats like stashing the lab blocks for later anyway! Mine always stash them in their beds...probably for a late night snack!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

My rats get a very large variety of food. Obviously the treat like things they only get a few of and only on certain days. (Some things say for hamsters or every rodent besides rats, but my rats love them. Plus, around here, the pet stores have almost nothing for rats. Just the basics.) Everything I buy can be found at Petco.

- Kaytee Fiesta Fortified Gourmet Food for Mice & Rats or Supreme Pet Foods Reggie Rat Food (If I can not find the first one.)
- Kaytee Forti-Diet Mouse & Rat Food (Lab Blocks.)
- Kaytee Yogurt Chips for Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats & Mice (Strawberry.)
- Kaytee Krunch-A-Rounds for All Small Animals(Peanut center with a crispy rice coating that's sprinkled with sesame seeds.)
- Kaytee Yogurt Dips Treats for Hamsters & Gerbils (Crunchy fortified nuggets coated in berry flavored yogurt.)
- 8 in 1 UltraVite Multi-Vitamin Daily Crunchy Treat
- Vitakraft Milk & Honey Drops for Rats
- Kaytee Healthy Toppings for Small Animals (Papaya.)
- Kaytee Healthy Toppings for Small Animals (Sweet Potato and Carrot.)
- Prevue Hendryx Hamsteroids (Hamsteroids are orbs of fruit flavored 100% ground calcium cookie like things.) (These help keep their teeth the right size. The do not chew on their wood toys so much, but they love munching on these.)
- Vitakraft Kracker Sticks Treats for Rats (Fruits and seeds plus vitamins, minerals, and honey all triple-baked on a wooden chew stick ) (I haven't put these in yet. I am waiting on the bigger cage. All I need is for my boyfriend to drive me to the pet store.)
- And of course, fresh fruits, vegetables, some chicken/steak/egg (When I cook it), pasta (when for dinner), small pieces of cheese, cereal, yogurt, crackers, and whatever else I may be eating or think they'd like as a treat.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Part of the Pack

ratsrule.com - suebee's rat diet

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

thanks for the input.

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, kitten food, lab block, lab blocks, pet food, pet foods, pet store, pet stores, puppy food, rat food, seed mix