What do you think of Mazuri rat blocks? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

What do you think of Mazuri rat blocks?

I feed this to my two new babies (am going to make my own food to go with it, was just reading up on that). Can I continue to use Mazuri blocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mazuri looks fine for young rats, but I'd try to switch them to something with less protein between 6 and 8 months of age. (Mazuri has a minimum of 23% protein, which is ok for young rats, but too much for them past 6 months or so.) I use Harlan Teklad for my boys, and there are different formulas depending on the age of the rats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

mazuri rat blocks

Thank you. They are only 5-6 weeks old, so will keep using them for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I saw your post about Mazuri blocks and Breyer took the words right out of my mouth!

My small animal vet said the same thing...Mazuri blocks are just fine for growing babies and I used them for a short period when my boys were younger, then switched to a lower protein Harlan Teklad block. I would love to see pictures of your new babies!

By the way Breyer, how are your boys doing? How is Russell's sneezing? I was missing my boys last night a lot and I thought of Russell and Stan of course.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you. Where can I get the blocks you mentioned?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I always get mine from the Rat Shop online: http://www.theratshop.com/index.php

For young rats, you'll want Harlan Teklad Global #2018, and for rats 8 months and older you'll want Harlan Teklad Global #2014. I usually buy a five pound bag and it lasts my two boys several months.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I also used to buy my HT blocks online as well, from The Crafty Rat website.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I'm not a big fan of Mazuri but I've never had rats so not sure how they are with them. Glad you got help but when I've read the ingredients for when I had gerbils and Gunny (ferret) it didn't sound the healthiest. Good luck though

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
rat blocks