What do you use under your bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What do you use under your bedding?

So I was wondering what do you use under your bedding? I am currently using magazine paper under the bedding. I want Jack & Annie to be comfortable at all times. We didn't put a whole whole lot of bedding in their cage, but, just enough. My husband and I were thinking about putting liner under there. The kind you would use in your cabinets under your cups and dishes. If you know what im talking about. I was wondering what your opinions are. I just don't want to put in in there and they start chewing on it and choke. If i do put this in there, I will also be putting bedding on top of it. I want my babys to be comfortable.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about for the liner under the bedding.

Excuse my PJ's.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Before I started potty training, I used a different bedding underneath. The one underneath was rough but absorbed better. The one on top was softer, I only put a little on top. I would use something that is washable, that can be thrown in the washing machine. I'm not sure how easy that liner would be to wash.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

I always just lined the bottom of the cages with newspaper.
Most likely the rats will chew that to bits.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I would not use that liner, I think it's very likely they would eat that. I use fleece liners for my cage. Just cut them to the shape of the cage floors, then wash and reuse them. Fleece is good because it's soft and warm and does not fray like normal fabric when they chew on it. You can buy fleece anywhere that sells fabric and be sure to check the scrap bin for discounts. I have made hammocks out of the leftover scraps or I just shove them inside their igloos to make them nice and cozy. They love to burrow into piles of fleece.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

I was going to suggest fleece too,but she wants to put it under the bedding.Depending on what kind of bedding you use,it may stick to the fleece and then make it almost impossible to wash! I had this issue...the aspen would stick to the fleece and I would end up just buying new fleece!

Fleece is a good idea though,especially to line the shelves of the cage.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

True, the wood beddings do tend to stick to it to a degree which makes them impossible to wash. I do not put any bedding over the fleece in my cages, but I do have litterboxes with Carefresh. They don't always use the boxes, but I pick out the stray poops daily and shake off the fleece outside before I wash it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I just put the aspen down right into the base, with nothing underneath

Same with the fleece blankets I use for my FN's.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The liner is washable. I am currently lining the bottom of the cage with magazine paper and they chew/rip it to shreads. I was going to use that liner under their bedding so that it would be softer for them. The bedding I am currently using is carefresh.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i didn't put anything under the bedding. I use hemp so it's like woodchips... everything else that's in the cage is soft fleece so she has plenty of spaces to go on that are soft
but now that I'm litter training her (doing WONDERFUL too), there's just fleece and a litterbox with aspen...

Tags
bedding