...what exactly IS freeze-drying mice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Question ...what exactly IS freeze-drying mice?

I've never really thoguht about it....but it isn't painful for them is it? I mena...it's quick right? They're not just.....frozen? I have no clue, but now it's bothering me and I want to know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I never heard of "freeze drying" mice!Do you mean frozen/thawed?

Feeder mice and rats are frozen after they are killed,because it is safer to feed snakes already dead.In humane cases the animals are gassed (they just fall asleep,nothing too bad about it),using CO2 gas.There are other ways they can be killed,which are not pretty and in my opnion very cruel and inhumane,so I will not post them here.

But I can tell you they are not frozen alive.They are put in the freezers after being killed.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I meant the frozen mice. Thank god...I'm glad I asked, because I was picturing poor little mice being frozen to death. I figured I was wrong, but you never know...take a look at KFC and fur-trading businesses. Rabbits, even....which is why I thought it might've been a slow death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_b18
Yes, I meant the frozen mice. Thank god...I'm glad I asked, because I was picturing poor little mice being frozen to death. I figured I was wrong, but you never know...take a look at KFC and fur-trading businesses. Rabbits, even....which is why I thought it might've been a slow death.
Yep,that would be a very inhumane thing to do...freeze them alive.That is animal cruelty!!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 AM

Actually a lot of pet stores and snake enthusists "cull" their mice (to get the right number or sexes), or freeze them. Plenty are frozen alive. If a colony rejects a mouse, the store/owner often chucks them in the freezer. If pinkies/fuzzies are abandoned, they are often frozen. Normally the mice die very quickly, just fall asleep, espicially the small ones. Not a nice thought.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

they probably dont die as quickly as being put in frozen carbon dioxide..im sure they suffer

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:50 PM

They wouldn't just fall asleep if you put them in the freezer. It would be like if you were left out in the freezing snow with nothing to protect you from the cold. It would be a very painful, fairly slow death.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillarious
Actually a lot of pet stores and snake enthusists "cull" their mice (to get the right number or sexes), or freeze them. Plenty are frozen alive. If a colony rejects a mouse, the store/owner often chucks them in the freezer. If pinkies/fuzzies are abandoned, they are often frozen. Normally the mice die very quickly, just fall asleep, espicially the small ones. Not a nice thought.
See that's what I DIDN'T want to hear, but had a suspicion about...especially when you mentioned the two you're taknig care of. That's actually what sparked this question. I mean, not all petstores have the proper equiptment, but all seem to have a fridge with a freezer...it sickens me that some places might do that...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Yep, they do. They DO fall asleep, but after being cold for a long time. If you were stuck in the freezing snow, you would eventually fall asleep...but you would be very cold before you went numb. Theres lots of animal cruelty all over the world, it's sad.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Curmudgeon

Actually, freezing to death (hypothermia) is not a painful way to go, at least as reported from people who have nearly succumbed to it. There have been many reports from mountain climbers and arctic explorers who were saved, but they almost universally reported it to be like falling asleep.

Once while kayaking I became hypothermic, to the point that I need to be hospitalized to raise my body temp. It was not painful, it was more disorienting. I had a hard time communicating, and felt numb all over, but there was no pain, even as I got almost to the point blacking out.

I think freezing animals would be just as (if not more) painless than CO2.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification Bob.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i was avoiding reading this thread cuz i knew i would be saddened by it ...but curiousity got the best of me...
i wish i didnt read that some pet stores cull their mice that way. No, not a nice thought. How sad!

Lve Never Fails

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
i was avoiding reading this thread cuz i knew i would be saddened by it ...but curiousity got the best of me...
i wish i didnt read that some pet stores cull their mice that way. No, not a nice thought. How sad!
No,not all pet stores do it that way.The ones here blugeon them to the head.I know this,because after seeing a bag full of frozen rats with blood coming from their mouths and ears,I asked them and the guys there didn't deny it.

Freezing IS painful.When I am outside and cold,my skin and ears and everything start to ache.Being thrown in a freezer would be painful until you started to fall asleep.Plus rats don't handle the cold very well!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 PM

I have heard also that hypothermia isn't as painful as you might think. When you get to a certain temp. you get sleepy, if you do fall asleep you just don't wake up.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
No,not all pet stores do it that way.The ones here blugeon them to the head.I know this,because after seeing a bag full of frozen rats with blood coming from their mouths and ears,I asked them and the guys there didn't deny it.

Freezing IS painful.When I am outside and cold,my skin and ears and everything start to ache.Being thrown in a freezer would be painful until you started to fall asleep.Plus rats don't handle the cold very well!

now that was even WORSE than the other post!

I think freezing would be painful too. Just imagine how it would feel...it would be a relief to fall asleep than having to keep feeling the pain! Even if its not as painful as other methods, like some think, its just not right. We dont know how the little mouse must feel when he is freezing to death so no one can say its NOT painful.
I know that some animals like snakes have to eat too and need mice but gassing the mice seems so much more humane. Bludgening them to death or freezing them to death is so cruel.

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 11-09-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Tags
animal cruelty, ball python, pet store, pet stores