What are good treats for ratties? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Question What are good treats for ratties?

Hey guys. So I have noticed that ratties are major beggers. They love handouts! I don't want fat or unhealthy rats, so what are the best "people food" treats to give in small amounts? I know that they can have cornflakes, and we've given them those. But what else? Sundae's name fits her well because all she wants to do is eat! I've read that bread is fine and a little cheese is ok. And I give them small amounts of veggies here and there. So what do all you PT rattie people use as treats? Thanks for your help! (Keep in mind that I'm a vegetarian so I won't be feeding them chicken or anything like that )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

my mice love beans! And they love a small amount of carrot too.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Haha, they are little porkers and will eat just about anything. Really any fruits/veggies are okay to give them, my guys love eating yogurt...they can have dog biscuits, cat treats, and basically anything that we eat.

Here's a list of forbidden food (taken from http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html)

Generally, if you would eat a food, you can give it to your rats. Here are some exceptions and notables:
bleu cheese—the mold in it is toxic to rats
licorice—suspected to cause neurological poisoning in a rat
raw dry beans or peanuts—contains antinutrients that destroy vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes red blood cells to clump
raw sweet potato—contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach
raw red cabbage and brussel sprouts—contains antinutrient that destroys thiamin
raw artichokes—inhibits protein digestion
green bananas—inhibits starch-digesting enzymes
green potato skin and eyes—contain solanine, a toxin
wild insects—can carry internal parasites and diseases
rhubarb—contains high levels of oxalates
raw bulk tofu—can contain bacteria, packaged raw tofu is safe
orange juice—forbidden for male rats only, d-limonene in the skin oil, which gets into the orange juice during squeezing, can cause kidney damage and kidney cancer due to a protein that only male rats have in their kidneys. Pieces of the orange fruit are okay if you wash the orange-skin oil off of it after peeling it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mine used to love a little bit of anything, little bits of cheese, egg, bread, biscuits, fruit and veggies, little ratty chocolates, my cup of coffee if they could get hold of it and i used to even make them porridge and scrambled eggs occasionally as they loved them! Rats are omnivores so a little of anything doesn't really hurt but in moderation

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw
Haha, they are little porkers and will eat just about anything. Really any fruits/veggies are okay to give them, my guys love eating yogurt...they can have dog biscuits, cat treats, and basically anything that we eat.

Here's a list of forbidden food (taken from http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html)

Generally, if you would eat a food, you can give it to your rats. Here are some exceptions and notables:
raw dry beans or peanuts—contains antinutrients that destroy vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes red blood cells to clump
orange juice—forbidden for male rats only, d-limonene in the skin oil, which gets into the orange juice during squeezing, can cause kidney damage and kidney cancer due to a protein that only male rats have in their kidneys. Pieces of the orange fruit are okay if you wash the orange-skin oil off of it after peeling it
Good list there most of it i already knew but the orange bit i thought they couldn't eat them fullstop so you learn something new everyday, i'll keep that list safe as all this talk of ratties is making me broody for some more

Kirsty

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:55 PM

Even if it does say oranges are fine if washed...I would never take the risk with males, y'know? I would just worry too much about how well to wash it, if I even washed it well enough, etc. I'm just paranoid like that.

Amethystbelle...I think you need some rats...

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Even if it does say oranges are fine if washed...I would never take the risk with males, y'know? I would just worry too much about how well to wash it, if I even washed it well enough, etc. I'm just paranoid like that.

Amethystbelle...I think you need some rats...
I had them for years but when my last one Ophelia died a year ago not had anymore as the degus took my time up but im soooooooo tempted again after seeing all the pictures

Kirsty

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:

Thanks so much for the list! I don't feel so guilty now! Wow, they can have tofu? We have plently of tofu around here! What about cereal, like Cheerios? I'm so used to being careful with the bunnies. They can only have certain things, but it seems like rats can have lots of stuff huh?

Amesthybelle I can post some more adorable pics to make you go get some ratties if you want!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Yup, cereals are good too, as long as they don't have a lot of sugar. I've had to adjust to them being able to eat so much, because I'm so used to the limited diet of hamsters! But it's okay by me, then I don't feel so bad if they sneakily grab some of my dinner.

I think you need to post more pics just so we can all gape at their cuteness.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
I think you need to post more pics just so we can all gape at their cuteness.
Will do. I would post some tonight but I have to go to my husband's work Xmas party (blah ). Part of being a wife I guess. Its at a Country Club and its raining out . I'd rather stay here with the rats and take pics for you guys! I'm not trying to complain, I just worked all day and would rather stay here. Anyway, I will post pics soon. Thanks for the info!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

You can give them some pieces of kitty kibble too. 8)

Dimaris

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

what about bread soaked in warm milk? thats what i was told to feed patch right after she had her babies, she loved it! (although patch is a mouse)

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hmmm...does no raw sweet potatoes apply only to rats? Because its good for degus. I do know that the skin, eyes, and the part right under the skin are not good for them, because thats where the toxins are concentrated.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Playful Pup

I used to give my rats Cheerios and they loved them.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madchat18
I used to give my rats Cheerios and they loved them.
I'll have to try that.

You know whats weird? They have peanuts in their food, but in the above bad foods list, it says peanuts are bad. Do you think the peanuts in their food are ok?

Tags
dog biscuits, male rat, male rats, pet food, rabbit food