what kind of rat is best - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

what kind of rat is best

I looked at many. I think the white ones are pretty but I keep getting pointed away from them. Then ther are the fancy ones ,so many to choose from Any thoughts? Not sure on cage either.I have had to many opinions. Some say just a big aquarium others have told me the size 12X24 and that doesn't seem big enough. The feret cage is big cost about 100.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Well.. that's just colors... white rats, feeder rats, fancy rats.. are pretty much the same... Feeders are just badly bred and you might get one with health or behaviour problems. However, if you get a "fancy" rat from a pet store, you'll most likely get the same badly bred rat with health and behaviour problems, only in a pretty color. If you want healthy, friendly rats, you'll have to go to a good breeder, and can pick a white rat from him or a colored one... lol.
About cages, well, wire cages have better ventilation, which is important to rats, that can get respiratory problems easily (and ammonia buildup inside the cage is a big cause of RI).
Here is a rat cage calculator: http://www.kristinewickstrom.homeste...nelApplet.html

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Yeah, color does not matter at all. They're all the same...temperament will just depend on the individual rat. But like Padfoot said, you'll have better luck getting a 'good' rat from a breeder. Don't choose a rat just for color...choose one because it's friendly. I always say, it's better to have an 'ugly' rat that is very sweet, than a grumpy rat that is adorable. So yeah...forget the color, and go for personality. A pet store is the last place I would go to, btw. They are usually very skittish, and tons of health problems usually pop up later in life.

Neeeever use an aquarium. Not good ventilation, and they just aren't as nice as a wire cage. You can't hang toys and hammocks around in aquariums, and rats like to climb. www.martinscages.com is a great place for cages. Always get powdercoated...and use the cage calculator Padfoot provided to be sure 2 rats will fit...
The *absolute* smallest cage for 2 rats is 12x14x24 (all in inches). Of course, you want bigger than that though, that's tiny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fancy rats, pet store, rat cage, wire cage, wire cages