What kind of rat do I have?!? Is he hairless? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Question What kind of rat do I have?!? Is he hairless?

I just got a rat yesterday. His mother is a regular gray rat, and the father is unknown. The baby has fine, soft, gray fuzz all over. It is a little thicker on his head. He is only 5 weeks old, so maybe he will lose the coat? He doesn't look like a patchwork, sincethe hairs all over, can you help me figure out what he is? And if it's possible to breed him for true hairless babies. I can't post his picture, so if you want to see, I can email it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Part of the Pack

It is difficult to say, especially without more information.

He could be a rex. Rexes have curly/kinky/wavy hair though, not thin haircoats. I hear rexes can sometimes oscillate between poor and good hair coats as they mature.

Since the mother was normal coat it can't be a double rex, which often have thin hair. Are you SURE the mother was not just a poor rex? They can sometimes appear almost smooth coated but often bushier or slightly wavy, and will always keep their kinky/curly whiskers.

He could be a hairless, as they can grow patchy, thin fur and then loose it. Some breeders are refusing to breed true hairless rats because of their inherent problems.

How do you know the mother but not the father?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

very hard to tell without pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

The girl bought the mother, a normal rat from a breeder- and she was already pregnant. So she must have got pregnant from a brother or sister. The litter my baby came from had these "hairless" rats, some rex coats, and normal rats. I didn't see them, that's just what the girl said to me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Here he is..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (43.0 KB, 36 views)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Aw he's cute.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Part of the Pack

That's pretty unusual. If you didn't KNOW the mother was a normal, then I would say that baby was a double rex. At this point it could be hairless or just a very affected rex. I would get ahold of the person with the rat and ask if she has kinky/curly wiskers, because it would make much more sense if the mother was rex as well.

Keep the pics coming over time, I'd like to see if it does become a hairless!

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I emailed the owner of my rat's mother. This is her- she looks completely average. The babies from the litter were my "hairless", some rex coats, and some normal rats. Maybe he's a really bad hairless? Or, I read somewhere that they don't always look completely hairless until 8 weeks. He's only 5 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosie nesting[1].jpg (59.6 KB, 29 views)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I know nothing about rats, But your baby is So cute! have you names him yet? I'd love to see more pics

btw- does anyone know what kinda bedding is in the picture with the mom? looks kinda gross?

My Furry Family
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Part of the Pack

isn't it yesterday's news? it looks like recycled paper bedding. carefresh is the same kind of thing and it's this yucky grey colour but it's really good bedding.

your rat is really cute! the mother has straight whiskers as far as i can see in the photo.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Part of the Pack

Yes, she's definitely not a rex. I would wait a bit to make sure, but keep a close eye on the baby for mites otherwise. If it has good skin I wouldn't worry too much, and just wait for 8 weeks to roll around and see if it is hairless. It may look like that for the duration of it's life, because a lot more breeders are moving towards slightly fuzzy hairless as they are supposedly more healthy than completely hairless ones. I don't have hairless so I can't speak from experience.

Caprice Acres

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

super cute rattie, i like how he's kinda baldish lol, and as far as carefresh (sorry i just saw a post about it in the thread) I can't stand it, gets really dusty, smells and it smells even worse when the water bottle leaks.

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

he is a cutie, that does look like a hairless to me. was the dad hairless?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The bedding is a paper bedding it isn't yesterdays news that is almost identical to rabbit pellets but made out of paper, and carefress is more fluffy but the one the mother is on is paper as well and a decent bedding i forget what it is called though

[/CENTER]

Tags
hairless, patchwork, rat, rex