What the... Mice Nibbles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Question What the... Mice Nibbles

Just noticed something they've been doing that's rather odd. They want to chew on my NAILS! They also nibble (very gently, but they can get carried away) on the tips of my fingers. Now, they haven't hurt me, although if they do start to get carried away, I gently thump (gently is the key word, I'd never hurt my girls) them back with my finger and give mad sounding "no" and they seem to understand they went too far.

I don't understand this new fascination with my fingers! I always wash my hands after handling food and before touching them. So I know they can't possibly be thinking I'm food lol But I just don't understand it, they have plenty of toys to chew on. I put in more chew sticks last night. And the first thing they do tonight is start nibbling on me!

It doesn't hurt, and they aren't being aggressive. I just don't get it. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I dont think it's aggressive behavior. I think they are probably grooming you, they probaby try and trim their own nails down when they get to long as part of their grooming prossess, so if they think your nails are too long they might be trying to groom them down for you lol... but I really dont think its a bad thing, if they are not hurting you or anything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 AM

my girls chew on my fingernails too. i think it's cute. don't thump them.. they aren't doing anything wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah they are just grooming you. rather than thump them, just say eeeep loudly, that'll do the trick

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Just for reference, I don't do anything unless they ARE hurting me lol And thump was probably too strong a word. I thought it might be when I typed it. I assure you I'm not hurting them at all, it's more of a little push. I'd never hurt an animal.

I didn't think about noise, so thanks for the tip, I hope I can do it right so they actually know I'm saying lol

I figured it was probably grooming, I just don't want them getting so carried away. (Sometimes it REALLY hurts. When I said they haven't hurt me I meant they haven't drawn blood.) I do think it's quite cute when they aren't deciding my fingers are too long and need trimming... lol

Last edited by skybaby87; 04-07-2008 at 12:51 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

lol hehe, we were not under the impression that you were hurting them, but maybe if they dont understand the eep, touch the tip of their noses that works sometimes.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh heavens i didn't think you were hurting them. i just know an eeeep (like they would do if they didn't like something) works well

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

It is just groomng.Some of my mice and rats do it as well.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

the ratties that i really bonded with would always do that to me.i think it's just part of them showing their affection for you like grooming you.

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
Spring,Lynard,Georgia,Teddy,7 of Minnie's children, 2 dwarf rats and our rabbit Charlie
*Proud Rat Owner Since 2005*
RIP Ratties
Raven,Gracie,Chloe,Roxanne,Brandy,August, Nicki, Lulu,Lainey,Minnie,Edward,Jasper
RIP Lance We Still Miss You

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I know I know! No one thought I was evil! lol I'm just putting emphasis on that lol You have no idea what an AWESOME flame target I am lol

And Cat bit a hole through my nail last night... into the nailbed... ow...

No mice were harmed in the making of this post.

Hehe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol silly cat!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
lol silly cat!
She just loves me... I think... Bleeding means love right? lol

It was awful when I had my finger bandaged, every time I put my hand in to say good morning they went nuts trying to chew off the foreign object that's attacking mommy lol

How twisted am I... I had a goldfish named Pig, a cat named Bugs, and now a mouse named Cat lol