What toys do you give your rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

What toys do you give your rats?

I was just curious to see what toys people give their rats to play with?

I give mine swinging bird perches with bells on them, parrot toys with mirrors on them..treat balls (the kind used for ferrets, you put the treats in the balls, and they roll them to get the treats out)
But I also use the rope bird perches to make their cages more interesting for them. I can't put alot on the floor of the cage as I have a blind rat, and it throws her off if I change things too much.
We also make fleece sleep cubes, hammocks, and sleep sacks for them, and put them in different places when we hange them out. Also sections of PVC for them to run/hide in.

I was also thinking of making a new cage, I can't seem to find a cage that I like commercially, so I thought about making a cage like the Grotto Style Cage and was curious as to what the pro's and cons of such a cage would be?

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
RAT ADDICT

My rats get tubes and cardboard boxes,jingle balls,ladders,hammocks,tissue,shredded paper,newspaper,swinging bird toys,dog ropes...things like this.
I can't help you with cage building,as I am not creative.I wanted to build my own rat cage,but could not figure out how to do it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Having had two different grotto style cages, I believe I can help.

Pros:
Huge! - So much space for ratties!
Customizable - Trap doors, shelf sizes, hammock hooks, you name it
No wire floors

Cons:
Huge! - Heavy, hard to move around
Sealing the wood - Do it well or the pee will soak in and it will smell
Safety - Make sure everything you use is safe for rats
Hard to clean - can't just throw it in the tub or hose it off outside

Overall I think they are great cages. Some difficulties in upkeep but it's worth it when your rats get to live in a mansion. If you want any specific tips when you're planning/building, feel free to ask.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

My dad this winter is helping make 2 huge walk in cages for my rats so I can take one of thouse meatle chairs in and sit and play. But for the shelves I planed on making them with a lip like a box so they cant fall off. but I want to protect the wood from damage can I use lanoleim (not shure how that is spelled) for the floor and leves and can a use a staine for both inside and out so that way their poop and pee dont soke in and its eaer to whipe off?
Is there a stain that is safe to use?
I give mine chew treats the love them and play what looks like tugg a war. I give them the roapes that the birds use to clim on but with in a week they are chewed to sreads. I do have the wheels that they play on but when not here or at night they get them taken out so that way they cant get hurt.
Any hamics or stuff like that is destroyed in a day with mine I dont know it they dont like them or they thing every thing is a chew toy. Like the cats tail yeterday which was funny. They grabed DC tail the boys did and were trying to pull him in I guess to play becuase they didnt hurt him but it made him jump.
I want to make the cage big enough for room but almost like an exstended book shelf were it attaches to the way for easy out of the way insted of some of the big bulkie cages that no matter were you place them they are still in the way.
PVC pipe I never tried that. On Valieres mouse peridice they say not to use it becuase some of the chemicals the pipe is made out of are harmful but these people also give their mice and rats whine and brandy and rum and sugest its good for them a small cap full becuase it wont hurt them so go figer. BUt if they can have it and its safe i know were I can get some an Im making tunes threw out my house so they can have safe free range. Is their claer PVC pipe or somthing like that I can get so that way I can attually see them. and i know to drill air holes so far along the pipes but this way I can see what they are doing in the tunesl but make them easy tear down to clean and then rebuild diffrent every time.
Cant they have cat toys that are plastic with the bells and stuff like that? I Woudl never leave them alone with it becuase I woudl be afraid that they would try to eat the plastic. I give them gold balls to roll around in the tube for play time. BUt they are supper hard.
Diamond
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

my rat gets a banana roap (meant for parrots...), hammock, cube bed, ladders, newspaper, paper towel, fleece cover, fleece tunnels, bowl of water with floating cereal, a kong!, balls meant for cats, loves to steal all sorts of papers, rocks (she loves to stand on those rocks), cardboard box that she likes to chew... etc, etc
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I drape fleece blankets that I buy from Goodwill or Salvation army over the top and backs of my cages, so they can destroy them at their will, and when they aren't any good, I tear them off, and start fresh.

My rats love those treat balls, of cours, anything food related is their favorite thing to do. I also hide treats in and under things in their swimming pool play area so that they can find stuff.

I've heard some people like to give their rats dirt to dig in? Has anyone done this, frankly, I'm too paranoid to give them dirt from outside, and wouldn't give them chemically treated garden soil, I've considered getting them play sand (it's non toxic) but....I'm not sure of what they'd so with it!?

My girls have a few Wodent Wheels, but I have to moniter their usage, one of my girls, Nancy, will run herself sick in that thing.

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
I've heard some people like to give their rats dirt to dig in? Has anyone done this, frankly, I'm too paranoid to give them dirt from outside, and wouldn't give them chemically treated garden soil, I've considered getting them play sand (it's non toxic) but....I'm not sure of what they'd so with it!?
I have done this.However I didn't use outside dirt or chemical treated dirt.When I had my African giant millipede,I needed soil that was free of pesticides,chemicals and all that and I found a HUGE bag (still have some) of the stuff.

I filled a small box with the dirt and let the rats and mice (not at the same time obviously and that was when I HAD mice) dig around in it.They really seemed to enjoy it.
You can bake or freeze the soil,to make sure any critters that may be in it are killed.I have never had any issue with critters in it though.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I never thought to bake or freeze the dirt, I know you can bring sticks in from outside and bake them....I think I might give it a try before it gets too cold...calling for snow here on Tuesday!

~W.C. Fields
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

the typical stuff, hammocks, fleece ropes, bird toys with rope and wood, plastic bird toys from walmart (with bell), link toys for chidren), Kladders (for birds), wooden bird ladders (you can climb on them or chew them, whatever you like!), wheels (Superpet mesh, Wodent, and Silent Spinners, plastic ferret tunnels, those wooden log homes you buy at the store and bend into shape, I use Snap-Inns as hidey homes, igloos and these dollarstore bins, those edible logs are a HUGE hit (the pine is processed...no phenols), those plastic things you hang from your showerhead to put shower stuff in (aren't I eloquent pre morning coffee...hehe)

, jingle balls, treat balls, foam blocks are a joy...and my favorite toy from the bird section...

Once they rip off the paper, then they still have the coloured blocks to chew on

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 10-09-2009 at 07:31 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Oh and my friend makes these awesome little fleece men as well

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

cool. I always wanted to get the eatable log homes for them but wasnt sure if all that was in them is safe. So now I know.
I give my rats old worn towls dish rags that have been washed and are not that good any more. Wast not want not. They love that sorta stuff. They dont seem to bother with the plasict bird toys but anything wooden or like tugg toys stuff they go nuts over.
I also give them hay and shove it into a ferret ball 1 a week and they chew on it and build a nest but I some times depeds how much the chew on it or run out give them more but this os quality horse hay I get from my frineds who have gorgouse horses. A little timothy hay becuase I head they can digest it as well.
They love the seed balls or treat balls that have seeds and stuff and I also get them the bird or rabbit and guine pig cage hangers they get that as a speacil treat and they love them they have a wood chew inside for extra yummy chewing.
here is garth when I only had him for a while before I got constandtine his cage mate and a biger cage he had more room in this one at lest then the 10 gal they had him in. you can see his blankie I call it like a pastel green.

I found a bunch of these balls and I place them in the tank and they would push them. roll them jump on them and everything. I woudl take them out when they were done becuase they were plastic and didnt want them to chew on them, Then put their others stuff back in the cage so they could play with the other stuff. They since have bigger cages now that I have more.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

hay is not digestible for rats and you might want to reconsider taking some farm hay...that hay may have had wild rats run over it and leave behidn their special friends, rat lice and mites and your rats can catch them.

You need MORE things in those aquariums, plus tanks are considered NOT good for rats due to ammonia buildup (they need to be thoroughly cleaned every 2nd day). I think you had better start investing in wire cages with LOTS of levels...people are always selling used cages online so start there, if you don't want to order from martinscages.com etc.

I used to keep rats in aquariums a LONG time ago, when I didn't know better, didn't have the internet, etc...my cages looked like yours, a box, waterbottle, food, and bedding...no wonder my rats died of URI more often than not, but they did get out and run free for hours at least.

There are a ton of cheap toys out there at the dollarstores...children's link toys for a buck, etc. Make your own with wood blocks, a drill to drill holes through and hang them in your cages. They can chew or shove them around, etc.

Right now I have over 70 rats, rescues, fosters, etc...but all my rats are in wire cages with levels, toys, beds, hideyhomes, etc...

And there's ONLY me to take care of them all.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I like the bird toys too, especially if they have the chewy wood block links, but I also like those hamster things, that you can put more blocks on, of course, between new blocks you have to scrub the buckets out of them!
I make my hammocks, so I always have left over fleece bits, I really like the Little Fleece Man..he's cute!
My daughter has alot of those link things she doesn't play with, so I might give those a shot too!
I like those weird chew log home things...of course..so do the rats...I've wanted to get them some dryer hose to see if the would run through it, but also afraid they'd get scared half way through, and get stuck!
My ratties are kinda babi-fied and spoiled!

~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
I like the bird toys too, especially if they have the chewy wood block links, but I also like those hamster things, that you can put more blocks on, of course, between new blocks you have to scrub the buckets out of them!
I make my hammocks, so I always have left over fleece bits, I really like the Little Fleece Man..he's cute!
My daughter has alot of those link things she doesn't play with, so I might give those a shot too!
I like those weird chew log home things...of course..so do the rats...I've wanted to get them some dryer hose to see if the would run through it, but also afraid they'd get scared half way through, and get stuck!
My ratties are kinda babi-fied and spoiled!
Make sure you have somewhere you can air out the dryer hose, as its the most horrible smell for a day or so Use tin snips and cut the wire to make shorter lengths...rats generally LOVE them, only if you have some skittish rats who might hide in there.

I used the more expensive clear one you can buy...in my Martin's pen, and they ran through and on it all the time

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

You didnt read what I said I siad this was the tank they were in and I would take everything out of it so they could play with the ball and then put there others stuff back in there.
I also siad that they have biger cages know they are not in the tank. If your gonna tell me what to do please read what I have wrote and stated. And I siad Qulity HORSE HAY not farm hay. They have it in a place were nothing eals can get it it and I keep it were nothing eals can get to it so the hay is clean.
You say I dont listen well you dont read what I write I think you are skimming over it. Sorry if my spelling is bad or a jumpble things up but the quality horse hay and the THEY USE TO BE IN THE TANK I didnt. They all have bigger cages and stuff know this is when I first got Garth in June/July of last year and constantine November last year before we moved.
If you have 70 rats then why are you yelling at me for having so many there are 2 people here me and my better half that care for them.
Would you please read what I write or at lest try to understand it before you going off the deep end. If your not shure what I mean just ask.
diamond

Tags
rat toy