What would you call this coat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question What would you call this coat?

This is one of the pups/kittens from one of my mice litters. (I have two currently- a little over 3 weeks old) He and one of the others have red eyes and white fur with grey/brown markings. I was wondering what one would call them, and how popular they are (as in how many there are). I believe they both came from the same mother, who is black and white. (I'm then thinking that they have a gene that delutes their colors.)
I was thinking of possibly breeding them sometime in the future, though only if I can find people who actually want ones like them- I'm already keeping 15, so I don't need to be over ran by mice if the doe has a litter of 10-20 haha. Her mother had 3-4 pups (one died on day one that I'm guessing was hers) but I may not have the luck of that- may end up like their cousin/aunt(?) whose first litter consisted of 12 or 13.

(http)s285(dot)photobucket(dot)(com)/albums/ll53/Liliedove/?action=view&current=IMG_0731.(dot)jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the link doesnt work

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Playful Pup

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_0731.jpg

here i got the link to work, i don't actually know at all but it is very cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
laugh often

it looks like long fur if so it is called angora. But I'd have to wait till their grown to see to be 100% certain. Her color pattern looks like a broken (color). I would add the color but I cant tell what it is from that picture.

You really shouldn't breed mice you don't know the history of. T5here are millions of badly bred mice in petstores already. These mice/rats genetic can carry everything from carry everything from cancer, tumors to cannibalism adnn defects. I am assuming you do not know the orgin of your mice since you don't know their coats names and proper genetic breeding terms along with if they are from the same mother or not. If you wish to breed that is up to you I just hope you find the proper breeding stock with good lines and you research alot before you start.

Alot of people want to breed rodents but they dont understand that this kinda a hobby to perfect the species. You dont make any money off of it and bedding and supplies can become quite costly if your set up and numbers are large.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I think they may be considered long haired mice, though their hair isn't as long as some mice variations can have.

I wish I could give an actual link, but alas I have not completed answering 20 posts, so it's not allowed at the moment. Pretty much what you have to do is just replace my (____) with whats supposed to be there. I've tested it out so I know it works. (I just wish it didn't require so many posts to place pictures in your questions/answers)

(http)s285(dot)photobucket(dot)(com)/albums/ll53/Liliedove/?action=view&current=IMG_0738(dot)jpg

This picture has most of them in it- the second one to the left in the first row is one of the grey/brown ones.

Yeah you're right about the breeding thing- chances are I wouldn't find enough people to gaurentee that the'd take two once they're old enough anyhow, and I don't need to be stuck with a litter that's as large as the one I've got now from the tan mother.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM
laugh often

the angora has long shiny coats while long hair has long coats but not very shiny. here is a link that I found that will help explain the descriptions
http://www.thefunmouse.com/varieties/coats.cfm

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Tags
baby mice, coat color, grey and white mouse, mice