what would you do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

what would you do?

as some of you may know, i'll be off to university next september, which is great! but i have 5 rats (that i love dearly!) that i have to leave behind. my parents are saying that they dont want to look after them but my brother said he would. i dont think it's fair though to leave the care of 2 cages of rats and a hamster cage to one person /who doesnt even own them and has the farm to take care of (and pay for) as well.

i might be able to take them with me in my second year when i move to falmouth and wont be in student halls, but i dont know if i'd be able to afford to look after them. even if i do take them in the second year, i would have spent a year without them anyway.

i know if i could i would totally take them with me because i love them, but it just can't happen for at least the first year.

when i bought them i didnt really think about going to uni, and for a major portion of their lives so far i wasnt even going to go, i wanted Kim to not be alone because her old partner Cheryl had a PT and had to be PTS.

sorry about the long post, but what would you guys do in this situation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Part of the Pack

I suggest to everyone I know entering college to go get the introductory pre-reqs out of the way at a local community college. There is really no reason to start out at a university - you'll pay more for classes PLUS the extreme cost of dorms - and you'll get just as good of credits at a local community college. You'll be able to keep your pets at your home, care for them, and then plan on taking them with you when you move out as a second year - preferably to a small apartment on your own (cheaper for you or your parents).

IMO, I don't know why so many kids go straight to a 4 year university. Most do it because they want to go to one of 'those schools' - and usually it's the parents that are paying for it. It's too darn expensive, especially when you factor in that most require living in a dorm.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM

@CapriceCritters: I actually Went to a 4 year first because I got a scholarship which meant it was cheaper for me to go away to school. Had I decided to stay at the community college I'd have lost my scholarship opportunity.

@Rodentopia: Is is necessary for you to live in the dorms? Can you get a pet friendly apartment off campus somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

@capricecritters: the school system is different in the UK, and the level after your post 16 education is university. and i'm from a small island, so i don't have any degree level courses on offer here unless it's accounting.

@RenishaS: i dont really think i can afford an apartment in my first year, but thinking about your comment, i could go and stay in the dorms (or halls in the UK) and look around for somewhere that would let me keep my pets or even see if they'd even let me keep my pets there. it's the last year they're being used as student accomodation before being turned into a recording studio or something, so i might be able to wrangle that. thanks for the idea!

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Part of the Pack

Hadn't realized you were in the UK, I prolly should've looked at your location.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM

If you do find a place make sure they amend your housing contract to allow cadged pets. A verbal contract won't hold up in court if they change their mind later and tell you to get rid of them. They have to write it into the contract and initial the change.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

@capricecritters: no worries, i never look at people's locations either.

@RenishaS:that is a really good peice of advice there. i wouldnt think about doing that at all but it seems so obvious now.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 PM

I took a business law class in college and they went over renter's rights and contract law, etc. It was interesting and informative. I've won arguments with several landlords since that class.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

and youve helped other people hopefully keep their pets! you should be glad you took that class

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim

Tags
what would you do