What's wrong with taking a mouse to the vet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Question What's wrong with taking a mouse to the vet?

I think Yin (my black female) is sick, so I called my vet. When I told the receptionist that I wanted to make an appointment for my mouse, she made a really rude noise and said, "Mouse?" in a disbelieving voice. Like I was crazy to take a mouse to the vet. At least my vet is a great guy. He spent 15-20 minutes looking my rat, Kenshin, over to make sure he didn't have mites!

Is it that strange to take a mouse to the vet if she is sick? If an animal is sick, I want it to get better. I think I will take her cage mates as well. Just in case. I love my mice and other assorted furry friends!

Her appointment is tomorrow. I'm just a bundle of nerves. I hope she is going to be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

There is nothing wrong with taking a mouse to the vets! I waould have given that receptionist a right mouthful! Grrr... these people make me mad!

But anyways, good luck, I hope you mouse gets better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Will It Ever Change?

there's nothing wrong with taking pets to the vet. if anything, that receptionist was rude!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Maybe she was new? She'd better get used to it, there are plenty of people that take rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc to the vet, especially a good vet like yours is.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I don't tink you can compare a GP to a mouse and a rat.
I would take a mouse or a rat to the vet, but I do understand why some people think this is weird. If you are lucky, they live to be 3 years old. This is a very short life. Most people will think, that it is weird to spend money on things that dosent live longer than this. A GP lives for a few more years, so for most people, there is a bit more sence in taking these animals to the vet...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Rodentologist

I don't think that's true, a life is a life. There shouldn't be a price tag on suffering. Nothing deserves to live in pain and die from a treatable disease just because they'd only live to be a 2-3 years old.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I'm just telling you why some people find it weird to take a mouse or a rat to the vet.

Personaly, I would take any animal to the vet. I don't think I would do much for a very sick 1½-2 years old mouse or rat though. I don't really see the point. (In other words, I would put the animal to sleep)...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm back from the vet. I had a ........ interesting time. Fist off, for some reason, the vet that usually looks at the cat and dogs was the one to examine my mice. I think it was because the rodent vet was busy at the time.

I learned several things today. First off, mice can jump really high. Next, a veternarian who isn't used to dealing with rodents, don't like mice flying through the air and landing on them. I found out that my gentil Karma will bite if she is being scruffed by said vet.

Flying and biting mice aside, it wasn't too bad a visit. The cat and dog vet got the rodent vet for a consult. He decided that two of my four females has pneumonia. So he gave me antibiotics for those two. I am so glad that I took them to the vet. Those poor poor dears.

The learning didn't stop there! I found out that mice do not like taking medicine and will bite the dropper. Yin also will bite you and will refuse to let go. At all. Also, mouse bites tend to bleed a lot.

But now all is well. Everyone is back in their cage and hopefully now, all will be fine. Until this evening anyway, when Karma and Yin need their second dose of meds. I may need more band-aids on hand!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You could try mixing the meds with something they will eat voluntarily. That's so much easier. I have used yogurt, applesauce, and baby food for my rats.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Glad you got meds
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Jird Jostler

Hehe, i did work experiance for a day at a vets on reception.. lol it was fun.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry about the bad experiances you have.Hopefully your mice get better soon!

People think I am crazy,because I have taken rats to the vet.I never ever had to take a mouse to the vet yet (luck!) - but once I was calling around (back in 1998 or so when I first got into mice) and alot of vets claimed they couldn't see mice,because they were too small!

Anyway the vet I go to now is greyt! I loves her!
But even with that,when I go to the vet with rats I get all kinds of weird looks,comments,questions...etc from the other customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I don't think that's true, a life is a life. There shouldn't be a price tag on suffering. Nothing deserves to live in pain and die from a treatable disease just because they'd only live to be a 2-3 years old.
I 100% agree with this!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM

We have found a few rat and mouse vets around here. We are lucky to have a great one right around the corner from our house. I am sure the receptionist just isn't used to hearing that. Generally speaking Rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters and the like are thought of as disposable pets. It is kind of sad but there are a few things that have started that. First, they cost next to nothing to replace, but vet bills are outrageous. Second, there are a lot of people out there that just don't take any animal to the vet for anything. It really is sad but it is the nature of the pet trade these days. I will have to say before meeting my wife I never thought I would end up at the vet with half of the animals or problems that I have ended up there with. I also never thought I would cry about a rat. Especially one we didn't have all that long. Sure they only live three years but I agree it really is worth doing everything you can to keep them alive that long.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM

The sad part is; average people (at least pretty much everyone I know except a few pet owners who really love their pets) think that it's too expensive to take pets to a vet. They often look at it based on the price of the pet (or rather.. a new pet to replace it..) and are more likely to take a dog they may have paid $200 for to the vet than they would a free kitten.. so to that receptionist she likely was thinking "A mouse?? They only cost like $3.. they should just buy a new one.". It's very wrong to think like that, but that's the primary focus of most people and vet care: they see it as a way to "protect their investment" rather than help an animal in need.

Now if someone just flat out can't afford a vet but still tries to do what they can then that's different. You can only do what you have the means to do; and not everyone can afford good vet care or have a vet to take something more exotic to.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My hubby got mad at me for taking my two rats to the vet this past month. He thinks I should've saved that money and just let them die if that's what they were meant to do. I didn't talk to him for three days. I think he has a brain tumor or something because his attitude has been all over the place lately.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur