When to put them back together? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

When to put them back together?

Me, again.

So, Pancake (our 8-wk old female rat) just had her 10 day post-spay check-up, and she's doing just fine! The vet says we could put her back with her cagemate, Mooshoo, if we want.

The problem is, Mooshoo (our 7-wk old male rat) is getting neutered in 8 days, and they will have to be separated again for two weeks.

We've let them out for some short play sessions together, but they've had little spats. I really think it's a "no this is MY cage now" thing.

I'd like to put them back together, in the biggest of the two cages (which have been side-by-side), and see how they do. They were fighting a bit pre-spay, but they usually worked it out themselves and ended up cuddling together afterwards.

So, what's worse:

1. Putting them back together, letting them work through re-bonding, only to separate them again in 8 days?

2. Keeping them separated for 3 more weeks, for a total of nearly 5 weeks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I think you should go ahead and put them back together. The boy surgery is nowhere near as invasive as the female surgery. He'll be sore for a day or two and then be fine. Put them together now and let them rebond over the next week, then as long as they are doing fine together on the day of surgery, put him right back in once he gets home. She'll take care of him and he'll be much more relaxed and heal faster.

My boys went back in with their buddies as soon as they are over anesthesia and they do fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the quick reply. That was my instinct, too.

So, I just put them back together in the big cage. I took a large handful of her bedding (which is the same as his, but has her smell, of course) and put it in the cage (he has been staying in the big on while they were separated). I also put her house in there. So, now, they each have their own identical little house.

They are excitedly running around and exploring right now, sneezing a bit. They sneeze when they get nervous.

I know there will be a couple of rumbles, and I'll keep my eye on them.

No blood, no wounds, no foul, right?

They are playing right now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I doubt you will have actual fights, because these are babies, they will just be so happy to have another playmate

Put them together, and after his neuter, see how he's feeling and how she reacts to him. If he wants to rest and she's bouncing on his head, then pull him out just for the night. By the next afternoon he should be just fine again...all the anesthesia should be out of his system and as long as he has oral pain meds they will be gine together. Baby boys getting neutered usually recover the fastest and you might not notice a lot of difference once you get him home. There's no need to separate them as long as he's okay.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack