Where do you get your pet mice and or rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Where do you get your pet mice and or rats?

Do you go to a breeder or a pet store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Guarded by Waffles

When I got my gerbils (I know I know they aren't mice or rats) I got them from a pet store but I regret that now becuase they weren't hand tamed. I had one with a biting problem too. I would recommend a breeder from now on. They are even a little cheaper. The most expensive breeder I saw had two gerbils for $8 and petsmart wants $10 per gerbil!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i get my mice from petsmart..but i also get a lot of feeder mice as well, i just feel better knowing i saved someone

i got my rats from a breeder

i find that feeder mice for me, seem to live longer than petstore mice- probably due to a broader gene pool selection and less inbreeding

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 09:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

I used to get rats from pet stores,however I have stopped that since my last pet store rat,Sterling.Needed frequent vet visits and lived 8 months.She had a RI,outter ear infection,tumor,scabs and lice.Was on meds the rest of her life,ever since...I won't get a pet shop rat.

My rats now have come from breeders or have been from litters of my rats that are proven healthy and have good genes.I have also rescued a couple of rats,but they are no longer with me.

So in other words,I rather buy from a breeder or adopt from a rescue!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 AM

My first rats came from a feeder breeder- someone who breeds exclusively to sell at the large reptile shows. My second pair came from a 'pet' breeder. My fifth rat was in the feeder bin- cost $3. LOL Um... All others I've had have been rescues.

Oddly enough, though- Ditto, the feeder rat I paid $3 for- is the healthiest rat I've ever had- he's pushing 2 now, still super active and never shown any signs of respiratory problems. He has also (shock) always lived alone.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have had them from pet shops, breeders and have rescued in the past

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:15 AM

petstores here. i have always liked petsmart and i have never had a problem with petsmart rats. but 90% of the rats from other stores came to me sick. i strongly recommend trying to find a breeder
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 01:51 PM

I've gotten my rats from petstores, but I regret that now and will get them from breeders in the future.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 PM

I bought a fuzzie who was going to be fed to a snake at my pet store, but I bought it just in time. No one thought she would make it, but now we not only have her but an agouti male and 11 fuzzies!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 PM

The only problem with my petsmart is that they only sell male rodents.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_&_Pepper
The only problem with my petsmart is that they only sell male rodents.
That's actually a good thing- something I admire Petsmart for. It eliminates in-store breeding and people getting pregnant pets and it discourages customers breeding at home. Each store is assigned a gender. In Birmingham, there are 2 male and 1 female petsmarts.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennawing
That's actually a good thing- something I admire Petsmart for. It eliminates in-store breeding and people getting pregnant pets and it discourages customers breeding at home. Each store is assigned a gender. In Birmingham, there are 2 male and 1 female petsmarts.
Thats interesting and a good idea! I wish pet stores here would do that!We don't have a Petsmart here and all of the stores here have males and feamles together.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 PM

I agree it is a good idea.I never been to petsmart but I used to go to another pet store & they had male& female together.Thats why I didn't get my first ratty ever at a pet store that time.She might have been pregnant& I would have had wayyy too many rats at once.I want more ratties now but to bring a pet home& end up with lotsa baby ones that might have been overwhelming!

I think I would rather rescue a ratty or get from a breeder.
I don't know,I'd just feel better about it =/
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Thats interesting and a good idea! I wish pet stores here would do that!We don't have a Petsmart here and all of the stores here have males and feamles together.
Our PetsMart said they only had males but it turned out they sexed them incorrectly and a friend of ours ended up with two pregnant females that gave birth to defected babies that ended up dying. And the original rats can't really be handled...they're inbred and really aggressive to the point of lunging when people walk past the cage . So although it's a good idea in theory it still can go wrong. I really dislike our PetsMart anyways...they take awful care of their fish. Most of the bettas are usually dead.

Our PetCo is really good, though. They seperate the rodents by genders and they have huge enclosures with tons of toys and aspen or carefresh bedding .

Anyways, I've never bought fancy mice or rats but if I was getting rats I'd definately adopt from a rescue . And I don't know if spiny mice count but I got mine from an exotics petstore .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM

We don't live too close to a really big city, so there aren't many choices. It took us ages to find a female guinea pig to go with our other female because our locally-owned pet store gets the animals from various breeders around the state. I agree that it's better to have males and females completely separated from each other, but it does get kind of frustrating because Auburn only has a PetSmart and a PetCo and both only carry male animals. The nearest pet store that carries females is 130 miles away!

Tags
carefresh bedding, degu food, ear infection, exotic animals, fancy mice, guinea pig, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, rabbit pellets, spiny mice, spiny mouse, vet visit, vet visits