Photos! Who says rats and children don't mix? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Who says rats and children don't mix?

Here is Chloe,my 6 year old daughter and Thor.

And Angus.

She grew up with/around rats and absolutely adores them. She always says when she grows up she is getting her own rats.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

totally cute

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
is a little "special"

Cute! What happened to Angus's tail? He has a little stub butt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, great pictures! Your daughter is a cutie and it looks like Thor really enjoys hanging out with her! I am glad she learned early to love rats, that is awesome!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Cute! What happened to Angus's tail? He has a little stub butt!
I don't know.He came to me with only a bit of his tail when he was a baby.It doesn't seem to bother him,but he does lack balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Aww, great pictures! Your daughter is a cutie and it looks like Thor really enjoys hanging out with her! I am glad she learned early to love rats, that is awesome!
Thanks.Thor is one of my more gentle/docile boys and will hang out with anyone.He is my buddy.Chloe really enjoys him too.
The only thing she doesn't like is the claws.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Great pictures!! Also excellent evidence to prove how awesome rats are for pets, and with kids to boot!!!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Official Loofah Tester

That's an awesome series of pics. She looks so tickled to have her ratty.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Great pictures!! Also excellent evidence to prove how awesome rats are for pets, and with kids to boot!!!!!
Thanks and yep,exactly...I know a few mothers who can't believe I do this,so I just try and educate.Chloe has never been bitten or sick from my pet rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
That's an awesome series of pics. She looks so tickled to have her ratty.
MY ratty..hehe.

She does love my rats though.Says when she gets older she is getting her own.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is so bizarre to me that other mothers would "not believe" you let Chloe hang out with your ratties. It is obviously just the common image people get when they think of a rat, and they picture a wild sewer rat with beady eyes from some shlocky horror film or whatever, eh? I would love to tell those moms that Chloe has a much better chance of being nipped or bitten by a hamster. Lol...have you ever told them anything like that?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
That is so bizarre to me that other mothers would "not believe" you let Chloe hang out with your ratties. It is obviously just the common image people get when they think of a rat, and they picture a wild sewer rat with beady eyes from some shlocky horror film or whatever, eh? I would love to tell those moms that Chloe has a much better chance of being nipped or bitten by a hamster. Lol...have you ever told them anything like that?
Well to be honest most of the other mothers I know either have NO pets or have things like cats or dogs (the mainstream pets).Rats have such a bad rap,that people think I am crazy for having rats with a kid.When I was pregnant,people asked me if I was rehoming my rats!

Yes,I always tell people that hamsters are more prone to biting.We have a hamster and Chloe cannot even hold him.He doesn't bite,but he gets defensive and will jump if I try to pick him up.However with the rats,Chloe and I can pick them up,handle them,love on them and they enjoy it!

She has never been bitten and it amazes me how many people think I would let Chloe hold or be around the rats if they bit! If rats were biters and everything and not good pets,I would never let Chloe hold them like this.Rats are a highly misunderstood animal.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Agreed, they are very, very misunderstood. It is just lack of knowledge, education and a lot of ignorance. Which is such a shame because the irony is that rats are so lovable and sweet and full of such affection, but they get the bad rap from people who know nothing of them.

Now I remember, it was YOU that said awhile ago that people asked if you were going to rehome your rats when you were pregnant, ha ha! Can you believe it? So ridiculous. Well I can tell already that Chloe will be an adult lover of rats and she will help spread the good word about them as she grows. Wonderful!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Agreed, they are very, very misunderstood. It is just lack of knowledge, education and a lot of ignorance. Which is such a shame because the irony is that rats are so lovable and sweet and full of such affection, but they get the bad rap from people who know nothing of them.

Now I remember, it was YOU that said awhile ago that people asked if you were going to rehome your rats when you were pregnant, ha ha! Can you believe it? So ridiculous. Well I can tell already that Chloe will be an adult lover of rats and she will help spread the good word about them as she grows. Wonderful!
Indeed...a lot of ignorance.It truly is a shame,because rats are the best of the small animals in my opinion.This is not being biased...I have owned mice,gerbils,hamsters,piggies and well rats are truly something else.They give back love 10 fold! And some of them really seem in tune to their owner's emotions...Thor is one of these......when I am upset,he will cuddle right under my chin or in the crook of my arm and gives kisses.He only gives kisses when he senses I am upset though and he really does seem to know my emotions.He is my li'l buddy.

Chloe is a mini rat advocate! I am glad. I raised her right!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I truly believe it. They ARE the most special of small animals in my opinion as well. No matter how many books and articles my husband and I read up on before adopting our rats, we were still not prepared for just how instinctively attuned to our emotions they are. They are as human as a furry critter can get, without the flaws of humans! So loving, so willing to give love back to us and to try to take care of us when we are sad. Can't say enough wonderful things about rats, but I know I am preaching to the choir on this forum! You all already know this!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
laugh often

cute.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
I truly believe it. They ARE the most special of small animals in my opinion as well. No matter how many books and articles my husband and I read up on before adopting our rats, we were still not prepared for just how instinctively attuned to our emotions they are. They are as human as a furry critter can get, without the flaws of humans! So loving, so willing to give love back to us and to try to take care of us when we are sad. Can't say enough wonderful things about rats, but I know I am preaching to the choir on this forum! You all already know this!
Exactly!

* Lisa *