Who uses fleece for there rat cage ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Who uses fleece for there rat cage ?

Ok well today i went out and bought nice fleece for the bottom of my rat cage instead of cat litter its to exspenice && messy LOL !
would anyone know how i can make it stay inplace at the bottom of my cage .. ?
and does anyone know .. should i double it or just put one layer ?

heres a pic of my cage for you's to see the BOTTOM of it to try and help me figure out how to place it down without moving about ..

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I use blankets...
fleece is like almost the same and it should be fine, I use blankets because my rats didn't like bedding very much and as soon as I put it in there they tryed shoving it all out of the cage again. I double my blankets because Pepper likes to sleep under them. Its up to you if you double it or not, I recommend it though. I don't use anything to stick down the blankets, but I think that you could use velcro -(spell?), thats the best thing to stick it down. If you do use the fleece, I think you should get two so that you can wash them and put the other one in, thats what I do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

yeaah i bought a BIGGG one today to try it
the only downsider is i havnt litter trained my RATS ..
i dunno where to start .. is yours trained ?
got any tips ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Well I have not found a litter tray corner, so I got an old bowl to use. I use a cheap cat litter, you need something with not a lot of chemicals in, one with nothing to help the smell, try not to get a litter that clumps together to- you will probably have to start a new thread about what litter, i'm not so good at that part, I use value from my local store ecause thats just plain and simple like you need... anyways, move the bowl or what ever you have to their favourite peeing corner and if they change where they're peeing, keep putting the bowl where they go. Also put all their poo in the bowl aswell, eventually they should get the hang... mine are also males and you might find that like mine, they only poo in it because they are generally too lazy to get up and go all the way to the litter to pee lol! thats the best advice I can give you about that. I do know however, that some ratties won't pee on fabric intheir cage and actually try pulling up what ever is in their cage for a corner to go in...
good luck!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

LOL thanks i shall start tonight
do you think my cage is big enough for them?
because i feel like i should buy a bigger one ..
whats your cage like btww . ?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I think your cage is fine, it does depend on how much they race around in it though, your cage does look like its built for two, because mine is built for four and double the size. I think that you could update, however, don't rush because thats their first home and they are just adapting to all the new stuff if you get me. I do also, although my cage is masive and it took about an hour to squeeze into the car, think about getting an even bigger one lol! I don't know if you have a pets at home store near you, but if you do I would recommend going there for a large cage.The one you have now suits though, so there's no rush!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Hey!!!

I use fleece in the bottom of mine and i used velcro to hold mine down...

Yep. mine is potty trained. Well, on her way, she is still young. Just figure out where your little friend seems to like making her business, get a little potty at petsmart or something and some potty litter (thats actually the brand i get...hahaha) and put it where she has been going. and everytime you see her poo, put it in the potty. she will soon figure out, Hey! thats where I must do that. haha They are sure to make mistakes, but everytime they do, like i said, just move it to the potty. and presto! potty trained ratty.

keep me updated!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 AM

trying not to hijack but a question about litter training, mine used to have a fav place to go in their old cage but in their new cage they go all over the place like literally on all 4 levels. Is there anyway to encourage them to go in one place or what?

I would ike to switch to fleece liners as well
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Jird Jostler

Oh.. what a great idea.. Do you think I could train Minnie to do this? Oww, I realy want to put fleece in her cage now.. bet she'd love it. But I think that I'd still have to have her sawdust diging tower in her cage as she loves to burrow. If I put fleece in her cage, it would stop me having to clear up after her all the time. What a brilliant idea.. I might have to try it myself. =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Fleece in all 3 of my FN's and I use it for sick, old or new rats that I am not sure how healthy they are.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If they're going in all corners of the cage just put litter trays there. They should eventually get the hint.
I use fleece and underneath that sometimes I use newspaper because Butters likes to shred it (at 4am I might add) and it seems to help absorb some of the pee. He's not litter trained so every day or every other day I get in there and pick up the stray turds. I also change the fleece out a lot and I clean his cage a lot. It's good to have a few pieces so if the cage does get too messy you can change it out and don't have to worry about washing the fleece before you can put more in.

I would seriously recommend staying away from clay based kitty litter. It is horrible on their lungs because of the dust. If you can find a paper based litter like Yesterday News that is much better to use.

I don't use anything to hold it down because Butters likes to go underneath it and crawl around. You could use velcro or on the shelves you could use binder clips.

As for the OP cage size, I would put the dimensions into a cage calculator. It looks like it should be an okay size but the cage calculator should tell you for sure. If you have girls and the cage calculator says it's okay for 3 rats, then having 4 in there won't be a big problem.

*Missy*
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have got to cover the shelves of my Rat explorer cage with fleece or something now because my norty little girls have all decided to chew the shelves and they have ruined them lol hopefully if i cover them they will get the hint to stop!!! If that fails i will go and buy some self adhesive floor tiles and use those instead and hope they dont chew through them lol. I cant believe my girls have become such big chewers all of a sudden!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Carla see the shelves slip them into pillowcases they work a treat! the ratties cannot pull them of .. and you can just slip them off when they get dirty! i love them! I also use newspaper for the lining of my cage as my rats got their toes caught in the fleece a few times so i took it out straight away! its a no go for me now i worry to much just incase! and WOW this thread is old i now have a cage which can hold 14 ratties aha

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

LOL ooooooo the pillowcase thing is a good idea! I may well just cover the bottom with a sheet too then that way they wont get their toes stuck in it!! They just shred newspaper and throw it out the cage like they do with their bedding lol norty ratties!

*Carla*
I
my animals!

Tags
litter train, litter trained, litter tray, rat cage