Why did my rat just bite me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Why did my rat just bite me?

So like one of my rats was just climbing on me and she started to sniff my eye brow and then she bit it!

I don't think it was an aggressive thing....

But I don't know why she did it....

It didn't draw blood but it still really hurt!

So do you guys have any idea why she did it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

Did it smell of food? Maybe misguided grooming? Winston (my mouse) nibbles my fingers if they smell of food. He eats like a pig rather than a mouse :S
I'm sure one of the rat experts can shed some light, I am a beginner with rodents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Rodentologist

Sounds like she was grooming you. They often power-groom each other as a social interaction, and sometimes their cagemates squeak and squirm to get away. If she's by herself, she's probably lonely and trying to pretend you're another rat.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree,it is probably nothing,but her grooming you.My boy,Ronnie did this to me a few days ago.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I sure hope it was grooming...I hate to think that she was made at my eyebrow or something...lol

I don't think that it smelt like food. It was my eyebrow..

And she's defiantly not alone. She has two others in there. lol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats do groom their humans at times...ears,eyes,eyebrows,up nostrils,teeth...etc,etc.I highly doubt she was mad at your eyebrow!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Actually eyelashes and eyebrows are in the Feather Family according to a lot of rats. It makes them irresistible and they will snatch and sometimes nip at it. I generally do not let rats near by face until i find out how they react to these human bits.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is there any chance that she could be blind, or have some kind of vision problem? A friend of mine's rat she thinks is blind, she found it outside and it was obviously a domesticated rat. ANYWAY he bites like crazy. Anything and everything. Mostly not hard, but sometimes he's just trying to figure out what that thing is
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Is there any chance that she could be blind, or have some kind of vision problem? A friend of mine's rat she thinks is blind, she found it outside and it was obviously a domesticated rat. ANYWAY he bites like crazy. Anything and everything. Mostly not hard, but sometimes he's just trying to figure out what that thing is
No she doesn't have a seeing problem. She see's quite well actually.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 AM

Ouch! If its anything like being bitten by a ferret, you have my sympathy.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

rats are actually almost blind anyway. None see well. They use other senses much more

They do power groom and they do check to see if anything is food. Its how they explore. Hmm this is new... hmm... food? Chomp! Nope guess not.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

My rat's only ever bite me if I have food on my fingers, like in a misguided attempt, but they kiss me all the time. Sweet little kids that they are. But yeah, its probably grooming, cause my cats do it too. One cat will lick my hand, bite it then lick it again

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree with the other posters and one of my two boy rats had a phase where he would grab and slash at my mouth and eyes sometimes, but it was not an aggressive thing and the other posters on the site explained that he was playing, experimenting, or even thought that my eyes were some sort of creature or something, as he was learning about people faces!
Grooming is the usual explanation and you should feel honored that he was probably treating you like a fellow rattie from the pack.
The best advice is next time he does it, give a squeak or an "eeep!" and pull away. That will educate him that he needs to be more gentle. Hope this helps!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
The best advice is next time he does it, give a squeak or an "eeep!" and pull away. That will educate him that he needs to be more gentle. Hope this helps!
You know I tried that EEEP thing and it didn't work. I did it really loud to and they just look at me like I'm crazy..lol
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Lol, yes, it might take some time, as our rat that was doing this had to go through about a week or two of EEPS! and us pulling away at the same time, but now he doesn't do it anymore. Maybe just keep trying that, and pull back from your rat at the same time and he will eventually get the picture. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Tags
bite, rat