Why Rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Why Rats?

I am just curious why all of you chose rats as pets???? What made you decide to adopt/buy rats? Did you always like rats?

For me...my old childhood friend had a few rats and she introduced me to them...I think I was 8 or 9.I can't remember,but I thought they were neat! They were so cute and friendly.I really wanted rats - but my mom wouldn't let me.

Then in 2001 I got my first pair of rats from a woman selling them at an annual event.I took two home on a spur of the moment - mom wasn't impressed,but let me keep them.They were not the most friendly and were quite aggressive.I named them Glenda and Adriana.However,despite doing alot of things wrong (wrong diet,not enough handling...etc) and them biting,it never deterred me from owning rats.Back then,because they couldn't be handled...my mom made me give them away and I ended up giving them to a neighbour for snake food.However now I know that with proper care and attention,they could of been much better rats.

In 2002 I got another rat (to try again),which was such a sweetie.Her name was Skye (my daughter's middle name is Skye after her) and well she started my addicition.I had tons and tons of rats since her,all very special to me.Once I got Skye,that is when I started all the research (which I should of done when I got my first two) and have been hooked on rats since.They are my passion and I will never be without a rat!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 AM

Cute story, Vanilla ^_^.

Back in 2004 I had a friend who kept pet rats. My mom had promised me a pet when we got settled down in our new apartment, so I started looking into rats. I saw a picture of a blue dumbo female rat and I was in love. After a few months of begging mom finally took me up to Petco and told me "Well, what are you waiting for? Get your rat." I was so excited. She, however, was not.

I did everything wrong. I bought a young brown female feeder rat and got incredibly lucky; she was not pregnant and not sick. I bought a very small mouse cage which she quickly grew out of, and bad rat food. I would chase her around the cage to the point of trauma while trying to yank her out. Despite all that she turned out to be the sweetest rat I've ever had. I miss Mizune terribly.

After we got used to eachother she learned so many tricks. She knew her name and she knew her sisters names. She potty trained all of her sisters - I have not needed to potty train a single female rat since her (though I'm not keeping females for a while). After Mizune passed away, a year later, I've been hooked. Right now I only have 4 rats and each time one passes on I swear I'll 'never get another', and I get one within 3 months.

I'm thinking about going into genetics and start breeding pet rats. My uncle breeds rats so I'm sure he'd have no problem with letting me help out. Especially if I can help find homes for the babies. I wanna get him some dumbo rexes. So much for "no more rats", huh?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I got my first rat because I was in the pet store buying a chinchilla. I really wanted a chinchilla at the time and when I went to get one (I had to call around and eventually drove to another city to get one) they had this little rat in this aquarium. Well actually he wasn't little, he was kind of HUGE. Anyway I said I couldn't leave him there and I brought him home. He wasn't happy with me either. I didn't feed him the right food, he did happen to have a decent cage but no cage mate. It was kind of strange because at the time I couldn't really find any decent info on the internet. There could have been decent info but I didn't dig deep enough to find it. I didn't hold him much either and he ended up biting me (I stuck my finger through his cage bar) so after that I wouldn't hold him at all. I made my ex take him after I broke up with him.

About 3 years ago I went with my boyfriend to Washington DC to go to an art musuem. We stopped on the way home to get something to eat and then we went into the Petsmart. We had talked about owning rats because a friend of ours had them, but we really didn't have anything planned. We really didn't have a cage or anything like that. Well we went into this store and there was this HUGE rat just looking miserable laying in this too small igloo. We asked the guy how long he had been there and the guy said that the rat had been there for almost a year. He was brought back twice for being too mean. Well I brought him home and he had lice but other then being scared he was the sweetest rat ever. He didn't like to be picked up at first but he got used to it. It was at that time that I came onto paw-talk to find some info and to chat about him. I knew I had to get him a cage mate but everyone seemed to drill me about it anyway...lol...I didn't have a cage at first but at the time I was keeping him in a big huge rubbermaid container. I didn't even keep the lid on it, he didn't seem to be bothered with jumping out. That next pay day (which was about 4 or 5 days away anyway) I bought a cage that was big enough for two rats. About a week after that I bought him a buddy.

Now I only have 2 rats and I'm sad to say that when they go that will probably be it for awhile. I might think about fostering or something like that but I get WAY to attached and I can't see them die. I am also going through some major life changes and I want to be majorly established before I get anymore pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:58 AM

My first rat was the class pet in my 3rd grade class. At the end of the year the teacher did a raffle to see who would take her home, and I won. Admittedly, I didn't take as good care of her as I should have, and after a few months I ended up giving her to another classmate. She was a sweet rat, but she didn't really stand out to me in my long list of childhood pets. And I was kind of mad at her for eating my curtains (which was probably largely my fault in the first place for not giving her enough attention). This is why I now think that if you're going to have a class pet, the teacher should be responsible for keeping it after the school year is up, and not the students.

I hadn't owned rats since then until February of this year. I'd gotten mice for the first time in January, and loved them to bits, but they just weren't very outgoing or cuddly, and were kind of small to snuggle =P I still wasn't sure if I really wanted a rat or not though, but one day when I was in the pet shop looking for more mice, they had some adorable rats, so, that's where my two came from =3 (And yes, these two are getting MUCH better care than my poor rat from 3rd grade, and I actually did research before I got these two. Hence the reason I have two, lol.) They're climbing all over me right now, trying to further impair my typing ability. Or rather, Sitka is. Subaru is being a well-behaved ball of squishy fluff.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Honest answer here............ Lisa hun YOU made me get rats!!!!
I joined this forum when i got my first bunny and had been thinking about rats for a while but i didnt think i could bring myself to touch them let alone OWN them! I was under the illusion that most people are under and that they were horrible smelly vicious little things until i read Lisa's posts etc and looked at her pics. I then decided to go on a rat hunt and see what i could find and have a hold etc and thats when i fell in LOVE with my Missy!! And since her i am totally HOOKED so THANKYOU Lisa for getting me addicted to ratties LOL xxxxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I got hooked into rats by first having mice...I used to read all day long about rodents and stumbled onto rats...brought a book on them and fell in love about the idea of having one...then yrs later I went into a pet store with my bf and found a tank of baby feeder rats..out of curiosity I asked to lady if I could pet one...she picked out baby Skrat..and as soon as I saw that white bundle of fur and those sad eyes I knew she was mine and I would never put her back into the tank to be fed to a snake. I didnt have anything for her..but I took her and weaned her and got her a cage...eventually she was my shadow and would even sleep in my bed..she is the reason I joined this forum

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Great stories everyone.
I enjoy reading about how other people get into rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazsamps View Post
Honest answer here............ Lisa hun YOU made me get rats!!!!
I joined this forum when i got my first bunny and had been thinking about rats for a while but i didnt think i could bring myself to touch them let alone OWN them! I was under the illusion that most people are under and that they were horrible smelly vicious little things until i read Lisa's posts etc and looked at her pics. I then decided to go on a rat hunt and see what i could find and have a hold etc and thats when i fell in LOVE with my Missy!! And since her i am totally HOOKED so THANKYOU Lisa for getting me addicted to ratties LOL xxxxx

WOW...really??? Your very welcome.

I know I have changed people's minds,but I wasn't aware that I changed anyone's minds and inspired someone to get rats here.Hehe and now your hooked! Anyway that made my day!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Part of the Pack

it all started with master splinter. i've always loved rats, and after reading the tale of one bad rat, that was it. my mind was made up lol. and now i'm an addict. my god they're great pets.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Great stories everyone.
I enjoy reading about how other people get into rats!

WOW...really??? Your very welcome.

I know I have changed people's minds,but I wasn't aware that I changed anyone's minds and inspired someone to get rats here.Hehe and now your hooked! Anyway that made my day!

Well you did with me hun so good on you!!! I now use my rats to change peoples minds and persuade them to give some a home! I have already persuaded 3 people into getting ratties and all 3 of them are now hooked hehe. xxxxx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I try my best too and know I have changed people's minds.I just wasn't aware I changed anyone's minds here!

Glad you are hooked too!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Hehe i dont think my husband thinks that way lol. I have 11 babies and am always on the lookout for more!!! I am starting to think maybe its a real condition i have lol some people get hooked on booze,drugs and cigarettes and i am hokked on RATS!!! lol xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Hahahahaha! Me too.They need a GGMR Rehab Center for the true rat addicts like us!

I am actually on the look-out for another ratty or two now myself.I was really looking forward to fostering that guy for the rescue,but he ended up dying before he left the SPCA!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww hun poor you. I am always on the lookout for more!!! I just love them soooo much hehe. I dont think you could ever have ENOUGH rats!!!!!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Uh-oh! I was into the pet store tonight and there were two dumbos in there.They were the cutest things! I may go back next week to see if they are still there.

I have some spare cages around and am actually planning on ordering another Martin's Cage...so....

* Lisa *

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

hehe lol, wishing you the best of luck Vanilla!
Well, When I wnet to get my hammie, Valentine, from pets at home I ended up taking a peek in the rat tanks. It was probably the first time I'd seen a live rat and I thought it was the cutest thing I ever saw. I was going to get two rats, however, before I got Valentine I'd bought everything I needed for a hammie and after asking the shop about getting the rats and the small hamster cage I had, they wouldn't let me buy rats unless they new I'd bought all the stuff I needed to lol.
Once I saw valentine, I had to take him home, he was gorgeous and I already had my heart set on a hammie.
After 7 months of having Valentine and doing tons and tons of research about rats, I knew pretty much everything I needed to and couldn't bare not having rats of my own.
I took £150 in cash to pets at home, bought everything I needed there, including Pepper and Rayray, my first two rats. I was so in heaven with Pepper and Rayray that when I went to get some more extra bits for Pepper and rayray at pets at home, I ended up coming home with Husky and Arthur. (that was 4 months after I had Pepper and Rayray )
I joined Paw-talk after I got alentine and helped people out on this forum on their posts and threads, which gradually teased and teased me until the point I was going to burst if I didn't get my rats LOL
So I geuss I also sorta owe Paw-Talk and it's members a big thank you!!
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10