why are these rats dying? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy why are these rats dying?

hi everyone. my sister had four female rats living together, all of them between 8-10 months old. about two weeks ago, my sister called me and said that one of them was feeling cold and being lethargic, and she died an hour later. prior to that she had no symptoms. she scrubbed the cage and brought the other rats to the vet for a check-up and they were given a clean bill of health. this morning she woke up and another one was dead, after being fine yesterday. this is very upsetting and also frustrating. I could see if these girls were older, but they are all under one year. any ideas of what could have happened? they are very well cared for, in a huge cage and lots of playtime...we don't understand and want to keep the other two alive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmvlcty View Post
hi everyone. my sister had four female rats living together, all of them between 8-10 months old. about two weeks ago, my sister called me and said that one of them was feeling cold and being lethargic, and she died an hour later. prior to that she had no symptoms. she scrubbed the cage and brought the other rats to the vet for a check-up and they were given a clean bill of health. this morning she woke up and another one was dead, after being fine yesterday. this is very upsetting and also frustrating. I could see if these girls were older, but they are all under one year. any ideas of what could have happened? they are very well cared for, in a huge cage and lots of playtime...we don't understand and want to keep the other two alive!
no respiratory signs at all, a little lethargy, peeing, drinking and eating was all normal?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM

Background history?
maybe its a genetic thing, sorry to hear though, your friend must be so distressed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

she said everything else was normal, eating/drinking/pooping, and no respiratory problems. she is keeping a really close eye on the other two...I don't know what the problem is. but they all came from a shelter, so maybe they were just unhealthy stock

Tags
rat, sick