Why won't they breed?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Why won't they breed?!

I have 3 dumbo's..2 girls and 1 boy. One of the boys, Spike, really stands out for breeding. We have had them play together on the couch and around the living room. He chases her with her nose between her legs and then if he tries to mount she quietly squeaks and kicks him with her high leg. What is going on?! Out of our 6 rats they are really the perfect breeding pair. Any help?

Why is she being like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Mouse Obsessor

How far is she into her heat cycle? Or is she even in heat?
Some female animals will reject the male if they are not ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Even then some that do not get along will never breed. I had two very beautiful blues with great lines that just did not get along whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey Pseudo,

Do you have a breeding mentor? Ethical breeders/mentors will have lots of tips for you. If not, you might want to do some more breeding research before pairing your fuzzies. If you're interested I've got some links for you to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

It sounds like you are just basing your breeding choices on "pretty"...what do you know of their line's health? And the line's temperament? I assume these are pedigreed rats from a rattery that has tracked them at lesat 4 generations?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Speaking of knowledgeable and ethical, lilspaz is the knowledge queen! Trust her!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You really need to read this article...

http://bvrattery.wordpress.com/the-virtual-mentor/

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Betta Bomb

Maybe the mama-to-be ratty is aware of the thousands of unwanted homeless rats in the world that are neglected and euthanized due to a shortage of homes?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
It sounds like you are just basing your breeding choices on "pretty"...what do you know of their line's health? And the line's temperament? I assume these are pedigreed rats from a rattery that has tracked them at lesat 4 generations?
No, looks have nothing to do with it. I mean stands out for breeding in this way: best health, largest male, sweetest personality EVER, etc.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
Hey Pseudo,

Do you have a breeding mentor? Ethical breeders/mentors will have lots of tips for you. If not, you might want to do some more breeding research before pairing your fuzzies. If you're interested I've got some links for you to start.
I'd love the links!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
No, looks have nothing to do with it. I mean stands out for breeding in this way: best health, largest male, sweetest personality EVER, etc.
do you know all this about his relatives (brothers, parents, grandparents, etc?)

I have the loveliest rescue daddy but his 8 boys that came with him were a mixed bag of temperaments. From bossy, and friendly to downright hormonally nasty (2 had to be neutered). None were anything like my Zeus. One nice rat doesn't mean he will consistently have healthy, and nice offspring...genetics are tricky, and he could be carrying recessives that make him a time bomb for health issues. I am dealing with such a time bomb right now and have to have my beloved girl pts tomorrow

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 08-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
I'd love the links!
I'd say any person who is considering breeding aught to get all the help they can get before they start. I'm a library lady at heart so when I was looking at getting my first rats, I researched for about a year before they even came home. I'm all about sharing any random links I found. I hope they can help you!:

Lilspaz has the best link to start with, since while mating two rats are pretty easy and straight forward (unless or course they are the two you are working with apparently. LOL), ethically breeding them where an owner is more interested in the good of the animal or species rather than personal gain is complex, requires long term dedication, education, and money.

Also under breeding ethics:

Article on Rat Breeding Ethics: http://www.afrma.org/breeding-ethics.htm
Tragedy of Free To A Good Home (this is about dogs, but easily can be applied to any pet animal): http://www.petrescue.com/petlibrary/...agedy-of-free/
General Breakdown of Emotional and Financial Cost of Ethical/Unethical Breeding: http://www.ratfanclub.org/breeding.html
A Specific Breakdown of Financial Cost of Breeding (some info is not sound, but this will still give you a good idea): http://angelratdesigns.com/2breedornot.html

Breeding 101's:
http://www.worldofrats.com/ROUSBreedingFAQMain.html

Rattery Red Flag List:

This is from Blackwolf Rattery, and is a great info guide on what to look for in ethical ratteries vs. not so ethical. I like this because it's very practical, straightforward, and not overly sentimental: http://www.blackwolfrattery.com/redflags.html

Genetics:

Genetics 101: http://www.huskyrat.co.uk/aboutrats/gene00.html
Rat Varieties: http://www.spoiledratten.com/varieties.html

Health issues to consider w/ breeding (or why knowing health history is important):

Myco: http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/...oplasmosis.php

Rat Health Guide: http://ratguide.com/

Megacolon: http://www.spoiledratten.com/highwhitecont.html

I've got loads more I'm sure. If I find any, I'll forward them to you. And also, as I said, Lilspaz is an excellent resource on information. She has devoted years to rat care, rescue, and rehabilitation. You couldn't ask for a better person on your side to give you sound advice, and that's on just about any forum you go to.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 08-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM
RAT ADDICT

You should not breed a rat just because he is pretty or nice. I have pretty and nice rats too,but I am not breeding them. My Thor and my Banjo are both two of the friendliest,most affectionate rats I have,but are not breeders.

When you breed,you need to know the health and genetics on both the male and female rats,plus their lines. Where did you get your rats?

Also breeding pet store rats is a big "no-no",as they are often inbred and full of disease or illness that can be passed on to the babies.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Agreed. What is the main purpose for you wanting your rats to breed?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I got my rats at a dumbo specific breeder. Both their parents and grand parents were there and we met them all. I know the women really well. I really would like to have one litter (no more) because after opening a local rat chapter I realized there were a lot of the girls really were interested in a great dumbo litter. The women I got my litter from lived 8 hours away! There are SO few good rat breeders in my area. Basically none. I know each and every person that would home them.

Tags
rat advice, rat breeding, rats