Wild Baby/Mama Mouse Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Smile Wild Baby/Mama Mouse Question

Hi... we found a mouse had build a nest in the back of my husband's truck. When he needed his truck, he went to move the nest but mama started to move her babies to a safer spot. It was heart wrenching so we put them in an aquarium with the nest, the mama and the babies since they were nursing, and have kept them inside. We're on the fence about keeping them as pets as I have been told that they will mate with each other, and specifically with four babies and one mom, they will kill each other off.
The babies, I think, are done nursing. They have finally become active in the cage, have not gotten the hang of the wheel like mama has, but they will. They are half the size of mama and are just cute as anything. I am able to reach in and pet a couple of them so far.
I don't want to keep them if they all seem like they are going to die because they kill each other off, etc. Just curious. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm not an expert on wild mice, but male mice in general tend to be very territorial. If you have a mix of males and females together, they will definitely breed with each other as soon as possible, and it is also quite likely that the male mice with fight each other for dominance (and likely to the death). You will need to try to figure out the sexes of the babies. Any females can be kept together without a problem, but the males should be separated from the females and from each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

They are wild animals, just release them when they are eating on their own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
They are wild animals, just release them when they are eating on their own
Actually, I don't believe they should be released. Since they have been captured, and thus domesticated, mom is unable to teach them how to find food and avoid predators. Releasing them would leave the babies completely at a loss - sure, they might be able to find food, but they wouldn't have been able to learn from mom the tricks to avoid predators. Any prey can zig-zag and try to outrun the predator, but MOM has learned tricks to increase the chances of survival. It'd be setting them up for certain death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
I'm not an expert on wild mice, but male mice in general tend to be very territorial. If you have a mix of males and females together, they will definitely breed with each other as soon as possible, and it is also quite likely that the male mice with fight each other for dominance (and likely to the death). You will need to try to figure out the sexes of the babies. Any females can be kept together without a problem, but the males should be separated from the females and from each other.
The sisters may be able to be kept with mom...but that's a huge maybe. From what I've read Deer mice(I'm assuming these are Deer mice since they're the most common wild mice found in houses), cross paths only occasionally, and never do it purposely to inter-mingle except for mating.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Mouse Obsessor

That is a tough question.
Even if they have never seen the wild. Chances are the babies will constanly try to escape.
However, if they seem like they will die if released then I would say, when everyone is ready, release the mom.
Though if you do keep the babies. You for sure will have to get each male their own cage and possibly get the females their own cages aswell (I am not sure how wild females are together).
You can also see if a wild life rescue would take some.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Playful Pup

I recently hand reared 3 baby deer mice, sadly 2 died and the final one is a pet, but only becaue I had her from so little, like said, she would have no idea how to survive outside.
On doing some research online tho, I did find out that the mice can breed as early as 20 days old! So be very careful, Or before you know it you will have a tank full lol.
Not really sure what to suggest a to what to do for the bet, as I know how hard it wouold be to release them if you thought you were simply sending them to the death. Saying that tho, if you were to do it now, mum would likely still care for them for a short time and may be able to teach them what they need to know to fend for themelves.
Maybe you could put them somewhere afe, in there new home, so they can can continue to use that as a nest until they find their feet in the big wide world?

good luck

proud owner of
Sam......3yr old pedigree whippet male
Jasper ande zee......hand reared male feral cats, both black, both brothers, both ENORMOUS 6yrs
Tinkerbelle.....hand reared female tabby cat 2 years, too intelligent for her own good
Cisko.....chinese dwarf hamster app 5 months and very cute

plus 3 baby mice
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

captured does not mean domesticated. As long as they are not IMPRINTED these mice can be released without any problem. they are most vulnerable as blind, motionless pinkies, once their eyes are open and they can move, it doesn't make them less fast to have been in a tank while nursing.

Tags
kill, pet, wild mice