Wish me and Arthur luck... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Wish me and Arthur luck...

Well, as many of you already know, Arthur had a BAD chest infection after we got him back from my family who were looking after him while we were on holiday, and we took him straight to the vets for an emergancy appointment.
The vet said that if the meds didn't work, than he'd be back... possibly for opps.
Well, I had to have two lots of meds, as the chest infection did begin to come back and today, I put the last of the formular into his bottle which should last two days, however, Arthur is actually drinking the stuff at such a fast rate, that I've been putting extra meds into his bottle so I new he wouldn't run out over night.
Soo.. wish me and him luck, because if his chest infection comes back I'm going straight back to the vets and I DON'T CARE how much it costs, I'm going to make sure he gets well because he is my baby!!
Well, I thought I'd letcha all know, because even though i'm just finishing a bottle to you, it's a big step for me, so right now, I'm a little on edge, hoping he'll stay stable lol
Luv ya's xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hope everything is alrite hun,
Rats can do downhill so quickly as i seen with my baby toto
lots of kisses xxxx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, that means a lot hun
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww good luck hunny i was exactly the same with my Missy but unfortunately my efforts were for nothing coz she inconveniently went and died on me lol love and hugs to you and Arthur xxxx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Awww.. wish you luck and prayers..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Okay, you sound determined, so I'm going to give you all my determined that my rat will live through this URI knowledge.

First of all, what meds is Arthur on right now? Second, do you know the nature of the URI? Is it just myco or is it a viral infection?

If it is myco or another bacterial infection you'll need some serious antibiotics baytril is a common choice so is ezithromycin (sp?), some folks will combine antibiotics such as baytril plus doxycycline. If you do baytril don't do a weak whimpy suspension of baytril, get the real pure stuff and make sure you can get refills if you need it, if your vet won't give you the pure stuff or won't refill without a 2nd vet visit, start looking for some who will. The fact of the matter is to kill off any bacterial infection (and certainly to beat back myco) you are going to need at least a 3 week round of antibiotics (I prefer to just say at least 7 days after the disappearance of symptoms.) so you don't want to have to pay for an office visit everytime you need a refill when you know very well it's the same thing.

Also, if the symptoms come back, keep trying new things, try a different antibiotic, combine two, add a steroid if necessary, these are all things you want to discuss with your vet if the symptoms come back, don't just accept another round of the same meds if those meds didn't work.

Then you have the keeping Arthur comfortable part, all these antibiotics can lead to diarrea and other tummy problems so you'll want to give him a probiotic to keep him from losing weight and going down hll. Don't use yogurt because dairy interacts with some antibiotics. I used an over the counter probiotic from the drug store. I opened two of the powder filled pills and mixed it into a little cup of apple sauce then I would give each medicated rat a spoon full with dinner. Also a vitamin c supplement can't hurt any rat fighting disease, you can give them just a tiny amount of human supplement or you can get the vitamin c supplement they make for guinuea pigs and cut the dosage about in half. It's also important to keep the protein in the diet higher while they're fighting infection, if they start losing a significant amount of weight or strength, things go bad fast.

Finally just make him happy, feed him his favorite treats, cuddle him lots, baby him. Give him the occasional piece of dark chocolate or steam him in the bathroom to keep his nasal passages open so that he doesn't actually feel sick and congested. Just like with people, a happy loved rat always heals faster! Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

thanks everyone!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okays, sorry for the late reply, I've been having problems with my laptop and my PC had problems with paw-talk, so hopefully I've sorted it and it'll work now on here.
Anyways, thanks you very much for your replies, esp. Luvboyrats info
The vet said Arthur has a bad chest 'infection', so we don't think it's myco, but the vet could be wrong. He got given an injection when we went to the vets, she said it was the strong stuff, so we wouldn't have the trouble of syringing it. We also got a bottle of 2ml baytril 5o/o solution, with added milloph; to open his airways. We also got a repeat prescription, without having to go back in with Arthur, so thats okay, but this time the solution had no added milloph.
He has finished his meds, I think it was early this morning, so he is back on water and I havn't heard a wheeze or rattle from him... yet.
He is a lot more snuggly and cuddly than usual, but definatly happy and not losty any weight.
When he was weighed at the vets before he was on meds, he was the normal, over 500grams or something, but I know he was over 500g.
We havn't given him any wet food (I.E. Yogart) because the vet said i would easily block his airways, however, I have been adding children vitamins to his diet, but I don't know if it's helped... it's certainly helped Pepper though.
Thanks again everyone. Your love and wishes have made my day!! Luv you all xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
arhtur, breathing, meds, pet, rat