Wobbly rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wobbly rats

Does anyone know what causes young rats to wobble uncontrollably?

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

What to do you mean by wobble? Is it swinging from side to side? If it is, and the rat is ruby-eyed, ruby eyed rats can't see very well, so they swing from side to side to focus better. I've seen this in gerbils too and have been told that albino mice do it too.

Dimaris

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Part of the Pack

hello

if you mean that your rat's head sways back and forth all the time, side to side, it is probably just your rat tryng to focus on stuff. two of my girl rats do this. one is the runt of her litter and can't see very well at all and her whole little body sways along with her head when she is looking at stuff. she is not unhealthy, and is almost 2. if this is what your rat is doing i wouldn't worry about it, but just enjoy the cuteness of it! hehe rats don't have very good eyesight and this helps them make out their surroundings.

however- older rats can get an ear problem (or something to do with the ears) that makes their head tilt permantly to one side. this does not sound like what your rat has but if you are real worried you could always take a visit to the vet

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

She seems very unsteady and tip's from side to side, and it seems as though she cannot hold her head up.

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I work at a petstore and this wobbly little girl was brought in with her sister about a week ago. I want to bring them home as i think they are just about the sweetest rats ever, but my boss thinks they should be sold as snake food because of the wobble, im really hoping someone can tell me that this will not affect their quality of life, they are so sweet i couldnt stand seeing them go as snake food (or any animal for that matter). Im afraid hes going to sell them before i find out, so any info would be greatly appreciated ...

Lois Isabel

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Part of the Pack

honestly- my rat Seed wobbles- yes she definnately wobbles - her whole body gets into it. and her head looks to heavy for her body she sways it back and forth liek a bobble-head when she is focusing ons omething. she is so healthy- her quality of life is fine. she just can' see well cause she's the runt. i think its so cute- i dont think you should worry about it. i think you should take them home

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd have them checked out by a vet. It could be an inner ear infection.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
ear infection, inner ear infection, snake food