Worked hard today for the ratties! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Worked hard today for the ratties!

I have worked my socks of today for the rats and now my feet are killing me and my finger nails are only half the size they were before I started cleaning!
I must say however, that it was worth it
Everythings begginning to fall into place now. Antibiotics are getting sorted and I have done everything thats been suggested for Pepper. I must say that the boys are going CRAZY about the baby food and thats good because I have vitamins in it that I'd like them to have.
I also mentioned that Arthur was making a few weird noises and he may have a few difficulties breathing, however, it is nothing serious because it was noticed and dealt with quickly.
The vet at [email protected] said that his breathing was most likly caused by dust build up (I went to pets at home for the vet because the advice is free YAY lol), so when I went home I got all the rats out and left them upstairs to do their own thing... unsupervised... I yet have the mess to discover LOL...
Meanwhile, back downstairs, I took the cage apart bit by bit.. I took everything I could get off the tubes off and washed them all and did the same with each floor level/shelfs, whatever you call them... and boy did they smell! I put them all in very hot water for 10 minutes and when I pulled them out I could really smell it, not because I don't clean them, because I do, but because I don't pull the cage completely apart to clean it. I noticed how much all the dirt had gotten into all these little nooks and crannies where I'd never expect it to be able to get, so all day I've been on my knees, feet and hands, scrub-scrub-scrubbing at everything as hard as I could! Now my finger nails look out of shape, my feet are killing me and my knees keep clicking at me LOL!
Well, I can tell you that it really has made such a difference, it was so worth the suffering lol.. I'll be doing that more often!
Well, hopefully the cage won't be as dusty, I found a lot of the clutter and dirt all built up around the bars the most and my god it sure is a pain in the butt to get off! Any of you have any recommendations as to which cleaner to get that will help because the bars still look filthy compaired to the rest of the cage!?
I'm really tired now... I think I'm going to have an early night tonight...
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Will It Ever Change?

atta girl! it's so fun to break a sweat over them, i love it! it feels so satisfying!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Yeah, LOL, It did actually feel very rewarding, shoulda seen the smile on my face when I'd finished, I was actually excited to put the rats in such a clean cage!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sounds like you really worked hard!
Good job.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I did that last week!! I have 2 Freddy 2 cages and man are they hard work to clean when you take EVERYTHING out lol. I scrubbed ALL toys,bars,tubes,wood chews,houses etc and then i scrubbed ALL rats before they went back in lol. It was like they had new homes lol they went crazy and the 6 hours in total i spent on both cages was well worth it lol

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a good thing to do every once and again is put all the rats in a pet taxi and take the cage to the car wash, you can power wash the bars and things

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
a good thing to do every once and again is put all the rats in a pet taxi and take the cage to the car wash, you can power wash the bars and things
Will they actually let you put cages in the car washes tho???
I never heard of this.

Oh and what is a "Freddy Cage"? I been hearing more and more about them lately,but not sure what they are.Are they similar to "Martin's"?

* Lisa *

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Who is there to let you or not let you, here people take everything to manual car washes

we have taken everything from trailers to power washing paint off an old chair and desk to pet taxis used for lambs

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well in most of the ones here,there are always people around who work there.I would think they wouldn't allow it.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

heh, i guess we don't hire anyone to watch our carwashes.... they might let you it wouldn't hurt the car wash

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...maybe I should ask next time I am near one.
They might let me do that if it wasn't busy! I never heard of it or thought of it before.And them things are STRONG!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks everyone for the replies
We always have people at the carwashes where we are to.
I looked like I'd come out of a war zone when I'd finished, two cuts on my elbow and one down my finger LOL
Everyday I'm going to be scrubbing up their cage to keep it as it is while the boys are upstairs. Hard work.. but great results

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i know, when i was little it made me fall and all i could wash was the tires.

it works rather well

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Freddy cages are huge rat cages that come with shelves and hanging bowl and hammocks etc i dont know what martins cages are but the freddy cages are fab!! Very roomy and very sturdy for energetic ratties lol

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazsamps View Post
Freddy cages are huge rat cages that come with shelves and hanging bowl and hammocks etc i dont know what martins cages are but the freddy cages are fab!! Very roomy and very sturdy for energetic ratties lol
http://www.martinscages.com

Is there a link for the "Freddy's"??

* Lisa *