Worried about the cold - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Worried about the cold

Heya just a quick question, was wondering of a safe way to ensure my mice are ok over the winter? I was thinking of popping a flannel in with them, but im worried about what it is made off :/

Are there any special things that are on te market, i need them to be delivered to the Uk, so online stuff is better

Thanj you!!! Xx

I have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unamed mice

Oscar, my old Chinchilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hello!
I think that fleece and flannel should both be fine for your mice. They do not tend to have any loose end threads that can get tangled up in litle mouse toys and of course fleece and flannel are both snuggly and warm. I have never heard personally of any problems using this type of fabric with small furries. You can always purchase scrap fabric from local fabric/sewing stores if you have any nearby?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Are your mice living in a drafty room or a room that is not heated well during the winter?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I was about to ask the same thing.

They're a lot like rats in that they can't tolerate extreme temperatures or drafts. Rats don't do well with temperatures below 60 or above 90. I'm not sure about mice, but it's probably not much different.

If low temps are a problem and you can't move them to a warmer area, you might consider having some kind of heat lamp or heat pad under the cage, Not too hot-less than 90 degrees, and only in one area of the cage for any kind of heat source..that way they can escape from the heat if it gets too much. You will also want to make sure they aren't exposed to any drafts.

Good luck!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ah, good point Story and Spaz.....Mousey are you there? Is there a particular reason you were worried about cold weather and your babies?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
mouse, winter