Would Anyone Know What To Do ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Exclamation Would Anyone Know What To Do ?

Ok as most of you's know i got 2 baby rats named toto and novo bout 2 weeks ago now and everything is going fine accept .. TOTO < after about 3days he wanted to come out and play and came running out of his cage to us and now about 4days ago he WONT come out at ALL he hides so we can't see him and we have tried lifting him out and he runs so quickly back to his cage its really worrying me because his brother is half his size (NOVO) and he comes over to greet us and when i open there cage he jumps up and comes up i have tried offering toto treats outside the cage and ive tried petting him and he just runs away. also when i hold novo he jus stays and plays about with us but toto he trys to run back to his cage ..
ALSO they play fight well i think it IS they will pin eachother down and bite eachothers fur and then SQUEAK ? are they hurting eachother ? i duno what to do as these are my first rats people are warning me telling me TOTO will go wild if i dont do somthing but he doesnt BITE at ALL there both sweethearts just toto is so scared of us and im really worrying ..
i have pictures up of them both out of the cage and the night after i took those pictures thats when toto changed he wont COME OUT at all

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Was Toto the rat that came out the cage more than Novo before? -If you know what im saying.
Because it could be possible that Novo is bullying Toto for being out of the cage when he hasn't - sometimes my Rayray does that to Pepper.
Or, If there are any other animals in the house that he has descovered and become afraid of. Maybe you could get Toto out of the cage and just have him with you, try and get him re-used to the house if you know what I mean. He might get a bit more confident if Novo stays with him- so they are both on you and just walk around the house with them? It's the best I can do...
BTW. Your rats are playfighting, probably sorting out who's the dominate one, so long as there's no blood everythings fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply ..
yeah he came out more then novo before and novo was more skiddish
what i dont understand is that toto is the BIG one hes massive compared to novo and he doesnt play as much as novo ..
novo and toto cuddle all the time and novo goes back into the cage and plays with toto then runs back out and toto would watch him coming out but he just doesnt come out could he possibly not like us ?
theres defently no more animals in the house and they have there own room with bright lights and everything and we would sit in there for hrs at a time with novo on the floor but toto jus sits and watches and its upsetting because i dont want him to think we dont like him and i dont wana force him to come out because when i have lifted him out he would sniff about and run back in and ive took toto out by himself aswel to see if that works

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

well, I'm not sure. You may have a situation like I have. Basically my rat Rayray, is extremly shy- when he's in the cage...
Rayray always runs away from us, like your saying about your Toto, I have to be really quick to get Rayray out of his cage and it seems like he doesent want to come out, but when we put him around our shoulders, he starts bruxing and gets really clingy. What I think you should do is take Toto out of the cage, even if he does not want to, (wear a baggy jumper to, one he can go in) then put him round your neck and make a really big fuss of him! Just like, let him know he is loved (not that you don't, but he could be getting jelious of Novo or someone else maybe) Rayray is also a lot fatter then Pepper too, and Pepper is also very skittish, so you might be going through the same thing I was with my rats. Pepper was and still is extremly playful, but Rayray's big and fat and squidgy lol! Stand up when you get him out, make sure you are wearing somthing he can go in, Rayray loves doing that! and just make a big fuss of him, it's my best advice! I don't think he does not like you, I just think that maybe, all he wants is a cuddle!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 03-28-2008 at 08:26 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

thank you so much toto would go on his hind legs nd sniff my face and kiss me and he would come over to my hand in his cage hes really effectionate when i go in his cage its just when he is out !
i will try what you said
yeah toto is just a big round BOY ! LOL and novo is just like a little baby wanting to cause trouble LOL he always wants to come out but i do make a fuss of both of them kiss there little bellys and so on so i hope he will come round so THANK YOU *hugs* i will give it a go xo

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

your very welcome! I love to help out heehee lol, \it truly does sound like a Pepper and Rayray situation, - thought I'd add- Rayray also gets terratorial over his cage...

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yesh i agree with everything ladyeerodentz said, very good advice, just what i'd say

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks people hopefully he comes round because both are not aggressive at al they are very sweet and im very attached to them

but just say he doesnt come round and is still scared what should i do my boyfriend sayed maybe give him away incase he isnt happy with us but i couldnt do that because i think he is happy and they are very attached to eachother aswel .. so im stuck

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I'm not sure... Just keep working with him and we'll see how it goes, don't give him away tho please! That would be too sad and I'm absolutly sure he loves you both to peaces! Good luck!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Will It Ever Change?

dont give him away. its not that he's not happy with you. i had a rat like that. just shy in the cage, but once he's out he's such a curious little stinker lol. have the one rat out with your bf, then sit alone by the open cage ans wait for the guy to come to you, he'll eventually get curious and come see what you're doing. there's lots of options here, but please dont give him away, you're certainly not at that point yet

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

thanks people it would kill me if i gave him away
because i love them both i sat at the cage last night with him just in it for bout 20mins and he run over to me and kept sniffing and kissing my face LOL i was well pleased and he kept making sure i wasnt going away everytime i moved he ran backover so i think hes just telling me to keep trying with him he loves anywhere DARK so maybe the jumper would be a great idea !

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Rayray hates it when it's time to leave and go in his cage lol, he is soo funny, it's like, when he's in his cage he does not want to come out and when it's time to go back into his cage he does not want to go back in and he gets terratorial over the cage anyhow? he is very confusing and a chatter box lol- but I love him for it and thats what it's all about!! Hope everything goes well!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM

I agree with all the above, please don't panic and give him away, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who loves him as much as you clearly do. I'm sure he is very happy with you and his lovely home.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Could something have scared him when he was out the first time?? That could cause him to not want to come out!.. Over all i agree with what everybody else said! Good luck!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone
no i dont think we have scared them because after the first day he came out of his cage hiself and NOVO was more scared and wouldnt come out from day one toto has been the more playful and more curious one but now its REALLY turned round.
would highering your voice scare him ?
or loud laughing ?
because every morning when i wake up and i make sure there awake i make a fuss and talk maybe a BIT LOUD to them at there cage and they come running over would this of done anything LOLL !! ?

Tags
baby rats, hind legs