Wrinkles is starting to bite.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Exclamation Wrinkles is starting to bite....

I have had Wrinkles for 8 days now. He is still by himself unfortunately, but the weather should be getting a little better soon to make that 2 hour drive to get him a buddy. Well he is 6 months old and I have been taking him out playing with him for about an hour or more everyday, except for the past 3 days or so. BECAUSE, lately every time I go to pick him up, he would nibble at me and run away. I was fine with the nibbling because I knew that my other rats did it, and they were just being loving. Well I kept trying to be persistent with him, and he would run away and hide in the corner. I would go to pick him up and he did NOT want any part of it. So I left him alone for two days (still putting my hand in the cage to pet him and try to get him out, but he still was not wanting any part of that) and today decided this was it. I HAD to pick him up and let him out, I didn't want him to be too lonely! I went to pick him up and he kept nibbling at me harder and harder, so despite the warning signs, I tried to softly pet him and he turned around and bit me. Hard. To the point of drawing blood. These were not loving nibbles, they were just kind of hard nibble, then run away. I don't know what to do. I have never had a rat do this before? I have never been bit like this. I know I am going to be getting him a friend SOON, at the latest Monday. But if I can't even get him out of his cage without getting bit.. I'm scared to see how this will all go with his new friend! Help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Has anything changed in his environment in the past couple of days? New smells, new objects---have you been around any other animals whose scent he might have picked up? Rats seem to be really observant of the tiniest changes, especially scent, so sometimes something that we don't notice might actually be frightening them.

My first recommendation would be to make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before handling him. Also, try to coax him out with treats that you know he really likes. I wouldn't force him to come out yet if he seems scared, so you might need to take things slowly--especially since you've only had him for 8 days. Wear an old sweatshirt when you are going to play with him, and always wear this same sweatshirt each time, without washing it for a while. (Sounds gross, but it helps them to get used to your scent and to feel more comfortable with something familiar.)

Hopefully he'll stop biting soon, but sometimes it can take a little patience and persistence. Let us know how it goes!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have a rat that is so scared,I cannot handle him at all.He allows me to pet him in the cage and such,but has a panic attack when I try to handle him and I have had Armin for months now.

I would give Wrinkles some more time and allow him to come to you slowly.Forcing him to do something obviously scares him to the point of biting.

Another thought,some males produce alot of testosterone and start biting.The only thing to stop the biting is have them neutered.I have never had an overly aggressive male,but I hear about them all the time.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Yes, I have tried to keep everything consistent and the same. I even went as far as using the same hand soap every time I washed my hands before I tried to handle him. I have no idea whatsoever where this came from. He was fine... then out of nowhere he became gradually more and more aggressive. I just want him to be happy, and I know that being cooped up in his cage all day can't be fun! I am getting so nervous about getting him a friend now..
I hope he doesn't stay this way!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...well it sounds like he may have testosterone issues...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

=/ Oh no... that is what I was afraid of. Hopefully... maybe... he will grow out of it I don't know what to do about the friend thing.. this is making me nervous!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

have you considered neutering him ? often that helps,or you have to start back at phase one with him. sitting by the cage so he can see you and then slowly moving upwards he might be a really nervous

Last edited by Nibbler; 01-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, I would recommend working with him first before going to the more drastic route of neutering. Especially since you've only had him a little more than a week, it isn't entirely surprising that he would behave this way. If he continues biting really badly after a couple of weeks of slowly working with him, then neutering might be the way to go.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Have you tryed rolling him on his back and holding his there lightly for a few seconds? or taking 2 fingers an slighhtly pressing down like another domint rat would do by standing on them. you have to be the alpha the domint rat of the mischief some rats just like to test you. I know the rolling and holding sounds harsh or might but the tecnics used to help make your males or females learn that you are the boss and not to bit its bad maners. But were gloves when doing this becuase you dont want bit again. Make shure the gloves are think but when he bits say no and while he is bittng dont move your hand way (if he bites threw then move it) but he will learn that biting dont hurt you and that it dont work so he will stop but when he dose this as I have with my males make try to imitate there I'm anoyed sound and roll them. This tells them that mom is not pleased.
If all elas fails then nuttering is the best option. An over agresive male that wont listen to calm down may be do to testosterone as vanilla said and then its better to get him nuttered. Becuase even if he settles he could get a rush again and then it happen all over again.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Thanks for all of the responses. I have tried giving him treats and taking things easy, but unfortunately I still see no progress. I will try other methods before resorting to neutering, but if that is what it has to come down to, then so be it =/ I was cleaning out his cage yesterday, and left him in his little igloo to rest and did not bother messing with him. He came out of his igloo, sniffed around my hand for a minute or so, and he bit through my glove and drew blood... AGAIN. My boyfriend reached in to hang his hammock back up because it had got knocked down, and Wrinkles bit him ALSO drawing blood! This is THREE times he has bit someone drawing blood, I have never had this happen before. I guess hold off on getting a friend is for sure... =/

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

there is a site on yahoo groups called [email protected] all together they specilize in behavoir and sociliing they may have more answers and have visidos and such of all typs of rats and there behavoirs and how to deal with them.
you could contact one of them and ask them. Karen Borga is really helpfull and some of pictures are on the website for socilizion humends with rats. they are only for rats socilization and talk about rats behaver good and bad.
I hope you can find some answers there and get your ratty back on track.
Lots of Luck.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.