Yet another cage question. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Yet another cage question.

I've found it! My god I've found it! I need some reassurance before buying it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-ferret-chin...ayphotohosting

30" x 18" x 56" overall 72" with 1/2" bar spacing.
Color: Silver vein.
With shipping it'll come to $151 USD.
Rattie cage calculator estimates 7 - 8 rats will live comfortably in this cage. I have 4.

It's by a J&M Cages. Now I've heard some bad things along with some good. Does anyone have any experience with this seller, or with these cages? How about opinions? Think it's worth it?

(Here's the pic that made me try to find this cage. This is a similar cage, but ebay doesn't have any available. Plus it's more expensive for overall the same exact cage.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's a sweet looking cage! You could deck that out with a lot of good stuff.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I know! It's HUGE! I've already started decorating it in my mind lol. I just bought an octopus ferret toy...

That would go in the top of the cage. And two new rat box hammocks I just made. Plus I'd have $40 leftover for buying new fleece and make new toys with. But I just need some reassurance before making such a big purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

OMG It's huge! Gosh I want one.. congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

I've decided to buy this cage =D. I'm gonna put some money in the bank and buy it first thing tomorrow unless someone between now and tomorrow afternoon can talk me out of it. I've read a lot of good feedback about this seller and this particular cage (on a sugar glider forum). I'll let you guys know if it's a good rattie cage when it arrives.

Now all I have to do is keep telling myself, "Four is enough, four is enough. No more ratties, no more boys! Four! Okay?! FOUR!"
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hey that cage is wonderfull looking i want sort of the same cage well yours is a big bigger al show you mine !

http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acat...nfo_26900.html

Good on ya girl get that cage i can't wait untill the bf buys me mine HEHE!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

have you checked out martin's cages?
look at the The Ferret Penthouse F 470

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Will It Ever Change?

whoa dude, get that cage, it's so sweet!!! keep us updated

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks clairbee for the link. I remember your thread about that cage (I was super jealous) but they wont ship to the US. =( That's one awesome cage tho! You'll have to post pictures of how you decorate it up once you get it!

And thanks Skratikans for the martins cage link. I've been looking for a wrought iron cage. I've had several wire cages, like Martins, and they didn't last very long at all. A wrought iron cage would be the last rat cage I'd have to buy for about 20 years.

I e-mailed the guy asking when he's going to be getting in more black cages - right now he only has silver. He has one black cage with a plastic tray right now, and he'll be getting that particular cage in black in 3 weeks... =( So I'm debating if the metal pan is worth the wait, or if I should just go with plastic. There's also this site that sells the same cage in white, blue and brown, with a plastic tray.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Will It Ever Change?

metal pan is totally worth the wait. some critters like to chew and if they discover the plastic tray, they may chew.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Moo,
Aww to bad because the cage i want looks so good i cannot wait i had the same problem i wanted a load of cages of US sites but they would'nt ship here its a pain but the one you choose LOOKS near enough the same and it looks gorg so make sure you go for it
Your babies would love it
Oh god decor i am kind of lost with that im good with hammocks etc .. but choosing toys i am BAD i don't have a clue !
Yep will do post pics make sure you post yours aswel if you get it

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm having second thoughts on the cage >_<;.. He won't be getting any in for 3 weeks... I kinda wanted to introduce my boys sooner than 4 weeks from now.

SO.... My mom offered to pitch in $100 for my cage =D! Now I'm trying really hard to keep the price down... but I did have a second choice.

Comes in black right now.
1/2" bar spacing.
32" x 24" x 50", overall 70"tall (minus seed catcher)
It also appears to be better built than the one I was looking at.
Around... $230 USD... I'm gonna look for a cheaper price.

OR...
Do you think I should go with a shorter, longer cage?

1/2" bar spacing.
65"L x 21" W x 35" H, overall height 62".
Of course, I'd find one with a metal tray... but this is the general size cage of this type.

I'm not sure which is better for rats. Generally rat cages are taller than they are long, but who's to say they prefer that? I know if I were only 8 inches tall I'd be scared to be 6 feet off the ground.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Will It Ever Change?

it sreally up to you, i like both cages. maybe do some math and pick the one with the biggest area so they have the most room

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

What about a Ferret Nation? The only problem I have with the first cage is that the ramps are REALLY steep and there is no middle full level. You can get a Ferret Nation for that price that has more levels and ramps that aren't painfully steep. Also the Ferret Nation has doors that FULLY open and completely come off which makes cleaning easy.

If you search around you can usually find them for about $150 with free shipping.

*Missy*
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I like Ferret Nation, but the problem is that they have 1" bar spacing. My boy Archimedes is really small and I'd be worried he could get out of it or even worse get stuck between the bars. Now I did hear Ferret Nation is coming out with a rat cage but I have no clue when or if that's even true.

I sent the guy an offer for the longer cage. It's the same dimensions as the cage my boys are in, except it's 5 feet long. So it's like 5 of my cages side-by-side on wheels. I think they'll like it. I like it because it's a good dual-purpose cage. I could house anything from a rat to a parrot in it so after my boys pass on I'm not stuck trying to find space in my garage for a super-large cage.

Tags
rat cage, sugar glider, wire cage, wire cages