Yey I'm getting baby dumbos, wahoo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yey I'm getting baby dumbos, wahoo!

Okay so everyone knows my ordeal a few months ago with rats we acquired at the petstore. We fell in love with them but unfortunately could not keep them well even with several rounds of anitibiotics, poor little dears. So I swore never again to buy a petstore rat. That's when my husband and I (we got married a week ago) did some research and found a small breeder a couple of hours a way. She breeds several varieties of dumbo rats every now and again when she has a market. She absolutely obsesses over them and all her breeders are pets first with regular vet visits etc. She also makes a habit of pretreating breeders for common ailments like myco and mites so that new babies run no risk of being exposed even if she does get small problems in her colony. Anyway, she is expecting two litters very soon and we get first dibs. We're getting two girls and two boys so that we can have the varied experience of male and females this time. Anyway, I'm so excited because dumbos are soo cute and sweet and smart and we have missed our ratties so much. Talking with this breeder we have actually become long distance friends and she really sounds great, I just can't wait to get them. I don't think that the rest of both litters is spoken for if anyone near North Alabama is looking for dumbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

I bet your excited!
CongRATS!!!

Dumbos are such sweet rats,so cute! Baby dumbos are freakin' adorable,because they have not yet grown into their ears and have these huges ears!!! You will have to post alot of pics when you get them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yay im so excited for you!! i love dumbos, they just make my heart melt!!! they look so goofy all the time lol. my timmehh is a dumbo but petey isn't but he's still just as cute

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww yay i am so excited for you! I currently have 2 baby dumbo girls!! They are just delightful and soooo clever!! I cant wait for pics of yours!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awww congrats can't wait for pictures when you get them

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh I will definitely be posting pics when we get them, but I'm sure it will be a while. I think they still have a week to a week and a half before birth and then of course it will be several weeks before they can be safely separated from mommy and the litter mates, but still I'm getting really pumped. Dumbos are my favorite thing ever, they're like real living breathing cartoon rats.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
rae

aawww, i adore dumbo rats i wanted some but my fella's mildly rataphobe, boo! so i got goo's yo hav to post lodsa cte photo's so i can wear him down lol! cant wait to see photies any ideas for names?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We're thinking A names and then if we breed B names for the next generation and so on. Although that's a big if. These are definitely good rats that are unrelated and proven for generations, but we would have to be sure we had great vet support and a definite market for the babies before we bred any. Anyway for our first two girls we're thinking Agatha and Agnes and then for the boys Alfred and Algernon (Algie.)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM

I'm wondering where the rattery is located you're getting your dumbos from. We're in NC and its almost impossible to find ratteries around here. I'm really wanting a dumbo. Would this rattery by any chance be 2 hours east of you (hope, hope)?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Actually she's in the Northern part of Alabama, fairly close to Huntsville not too far from the TN border. I think she's gonna have a pretty nice variety. I've seen pics of her breeders and she's got some great blazes with big dumbo ears.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks, luvboyrats,
I was hoping for a rattery more to the east. (sigh) Thats still a bit far for me.

Tags
litter mates, regular vet, vet visit, vet visits