Yikes!!!!!!!! HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yikes!!!!!!!! HELP

Help me, so apparently one of the 4 mice i got was not a male. Little frankie is a girl wait till her human form finds out he'll be in shock. but we now have 6 little pinkies about the size of my pinkie nail in a temp cage with mom. i don't know if she is already preggers again but probably But i need info on the babies, we should be getting a permanent cage tomorrow nothings open now where i am.

When do i have to try and sex them myself to separate the boys from the girls and mum

Can i introduce the boy babies with the other boys

WTF How come mum still looks and sexes as a boy according to the fun mouse website

I know she is the girl cause i was blood on her hinny before see was cleening herself and the pups off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

If she is in with the male take him out immediately! They can get pregnant within 24 hours of giving birth. Make sure mom has lots of food and has a piece of toilet paper or construction paper to make a nest out of. You will have to separate the babies at 4-6 weeks...5 would be good. You have to separate the boys from girls because if they mate they can have deformed and unhealthy babies. If you can take pictures of the babies when they are older, we can help with the sexing. I don't know why your girl is sexing wrong. When she is a bit less stressed you could take a picture from the back and I could take a look and see. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Personally I would not introduce the baby boys to your other boys because they can fight till death. You could let them interact, maybe SUPERVISE as they sniff each other out, but even that can be risky. You can keep the baby boys in a tank together for a short amount of time before they will need to go to a new home or be separated from each other. When you get rid of them, don't sell them to the pet store unless you have to. They won't take good care of them. Try to sell them as pets.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Alright i put in toilet paper in their temp tank.(i'm going to a store after school today to get a real cage) i don't know how long she was in with the boys after the babies were born. I'll see if i can take some when they get a little older.

Ok i won't introduce boys but that would mean i need more tanks and can't do that so i'm trying to get people to adopt the babies. mom says no more than two tanks.

Anyone in CT willing to take some babies if they make it. They will most likely be silver or black and tan

Edit: Um she keep stepping on the babies and is putting the nesting materials over the babies instead of under them is this ok?

Pet's name:
Baby

Last edited by winterose; 09-14-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sometimes when the babies are born at night its hard to tell, once my mouse was accidentally double bred. You will just have to wait and see. And no rush on pictures...its hard to tell until they have fur anyway

If I was closer I would definitely take some babies off of your hands. I think its great that you are trying to adopt them out Since you are only allowed 2 tanks, you could make a plastic bin cage while you need it with a screen lid taped on our something.

Its fine that she is covering the babies. She sounds like a good mom!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM
RAT ADDICT

You got some good advice!

Yes,make sure the males are seperated from her.
5 weeks is when the babies should be seperated by sex...otherwise they will breed with eachother and mom.

It is not a good idea to put the boy babies in with the adult males,because male mice are very territorial and will fight to the death.And it is hard to get male littermates to live peacefully...so adding newbies to a group of already established males is a disaster waiting to happen.

Offer the mom some high protein food,like bit of egg or chicken or a bit of cheese.She needs the extra protein and nutrients,otherwise she may eat her young because she craves the extra protein.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

alrighty thanks guys for the info. we have her set up in my file bin thing with a mesh over it. we have a friend who is going to give us an aquarium to use but i may not move them over till they are a little older because ever move stresses mum out.

Would extra nuts give the same protein as eggs and cheese. and does it matter the type of cheese.

her nest has become quite the little building project. it actually looks kinda cool. the only part I'm not liking is the babies keep squeaking. the more they squeak the more i want to kill them but the less i want to kill them. if that makes sense to anyone but me.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,some nuts can be given to her.
I used to give mine bits of chedder or mozarella cheese.
Believe it or not though,not all mice like cheese!

Squeaking is normal and a good sign.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok, so one question you guys said wait 5 weeks before moving thats 35 days but by fun mouse they are fully developed by 23 days then wouldn't 5 weeks be to long and my girls preggers again?

Pet's name:
Baby

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

No,baby mice cannot breed before 5 weeks.
They are not weaned until 4-5 weeks.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oh ok just wanted to make sure

Pet's name:
Baby

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

The fun mouse has some great advice but I alway sepreated my males and femaels at 5 weeks my rats are 5 weeks to almost 6 a couple days after they are 5 weeks. I have asked the advice before and they were vrey crule to me. and it was before I go mice I asked ofr some information on them and boy did they go off on me.
Soem times males testies dont drop when young right away adn can apear to look liek girls. i gently push the back ends to see if anything pops out not hard but enough to see. But ushally you can tell by a row of what looks like little bumps were the nipples are on the girls boy wont have them. some people take a non toix perminet marker and mark the males or femaels so they know.
I love black and tans I have 4 now. I dont have a silver if you lived closer I woudl get one. Black is a favorit color of mine but so is silver. Females should not be breed till 3 months or 5 months. Depending on the size of mine dependis on when they breed. Ushally they look like they swallowed a golf ball when prego but some can look jsut liek they are a little fat. How many did she have. Male mice can halp take care of the litter. When I fist had my 2 I was told to leave the male in which I foudn out later was bad advice but he helped take care of them. Soem of my males have fought but they seem to really like the babies and clean them when i intro them I think becuase they know they are young an are very submisive. But to many males can fight. Soem times its to much room or not enough. Boys are tricky. Not all males that are syblings or fatehr adn son will get along. I am jsut lucky with my males and I intor them and let them play in a bin or play area for a while on nutral gorund long before i house them together. And some I have had to seperate. I jsut rescued to feeder mice and they had babies onteh way home. they were ready to have them when i seen them but had them on the way home so not shure whos is whos. But for feeder mice (they dont get socilized ot well) they are very frinedly and cuddly the moms. THere are 14 all together. 3 that apear to be black and tan and the rest are either albinos or they could be cream colored. not shure. Since the moms dont knwo me that good I wont mess with them till there eyes are open like I do with the ones that do know me.
Wish you the best of luck
Diamond
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

can i handle them this young to sex them or will mom reject them. i haven't taken them out to see exsactly how many but there are like 6 i think

Pet's name:
Baby

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

If the mother is used to you,then yes...you may take them out.The sooner you handle them the better.They need to get used to your scent now.I always handled my baby mice on day 2 to check for milk bands! The mothers didn't mind and I never had a problem.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok i will do that. mamma mouse is use to me handling her. she tried to bite me the other day but she settled down soon after

Pet's name:
Baby

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok i checked and it was really hard to tell. but i think we have 4 girls and one boy. one little unknown was dead. I am really uncertain about my sexing attempt though. Is there anyone in ct willing to come check. they won't stay still long enough for a pic i'll try in a couple days when i try and sex again. looks like there will be 1 silver one and the rest have black on them

Pet's name:
Baby

Tags
babies, mice, not a dude, unknown