Young Ratty Questions, and Introductions.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Young Ratty Questions, and Introductions..

Hello

As my title suggests...I have LOTS of questions.

I have a younger rat, Rembrandt. He seems partially socialized; sometimes takes food from me, is okay when he's in my lap/shoulder, bruxed once or twice while I held him!...But he's a little jumpy when I pick him up, and is skittish around noises. I know he's just a baby, but any way I could help him get used to me faster? I read somewhere that I could take him out for 20 minutes, twice a day, and give him a treat afterwords - does that sound good? Any suggestions? I've never had one so young and I just want to love him and snuggle him..!

I bought him for my older boy, Da Vinci. He seemed a bit lonely. I introduced them yesterday and today, and it went GREAT! I was so worried about it! He's flipped Remmy a few times, nothing aggressive at all! I think Da Vinci even groomed Remmy, but hard to tell. (Although, Da Vinci sniffs Remmy's boy-parts, is that normal?). I first introduced them in the bathtub, and that's where it was very well.

I then let them in the new cage (that Remmy is currently in, and they'll both be in once I know it'll be okay), and everything went fine as well! One thing that worried me, was that Remmy seemed more nervous, and stayed in the paper towel roll most of the time I had Da Vinci in there. I separated them again, just because I wasn't sure if he felt safe, but was that okay/normal?

What exactly is Okay/Normal? I've never done this before!

(Also: The cage Remmy is in is HUGE. Would that be bad for him? I worry when he crawls up there! It's about 2-3 feet high...)

Thanks so much for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Hi!
To get Remmy used to you more quickly, there are a number of things you can do. If you have a shirt/top that you don't mind giving up, than wear it for a day with your usual purfumes and put it in his cage once it smells of you, than he can get more used to your scent. When you have him out of the cage, wear a big baggy jumper that he can snuggle in and run around in. Also, when you let him out, you could just sit or lay and ignore him and after a while, he will probably come to you and let him explore you.As he gets used to you, if he comes near your hand, pick him up and let him run from one hand to another and keep him moving, don't give him time to think about it, just keep him moving on your hands so that he gets used to them and realises that they/you arn't dangrous and hopefully he will eventually stop being so jumpy. Giving him treats is good to Speak to him gently, it takes patients, but I'm sure he'll take to you pretty quickly
I think it sounds a bit like Da Vinci is showing Remmy who is the dominate one, this isn't unusual and as you say it does sound like things are going well. I think it is normal for rats to sniff eachothers boy-parts. I think it is okay that Remmy is hiding in the paper roll tube, it will be a bit unusual having another rat in his cage, so he is retreting to the tube as his safe spot. Before you try putting them in Remmy's cage, clean it out really, really well, so almost every smell of Remmy in the cage is gone and no-one feels threatened and it makes everyone slightly more relaxed. This might help.
The last thing I'm going to mention is that when they are out of the cage together, put something, like a liquid or some sort of scent (a good one is vannilla essence) on them (down eachothers back usually) so they have the same scent, this also makes things more relaxed between them
Oh, and the bigger the cage the better, Remmy will be fine and I'm sure he'll love the space he has
It sounds like your doing a good job, and I hope the information/advice helps
GoodLuck, keep us updated on their progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank yooou, you helped so much! Remmy's sleeping at the moment, so I don't want to wake up to a big scary hand.

Laydeer, I actually had a shirt in Rem's cage! Da Vinci kinda snuggled on it once or twice but I did see Rem snuggled on it, sleeping, last night. It made me feel all fuzzy inside!

But I'm glad you said things are normal. Rembrandt is just so little, I can't help but worry about him.

Do you think I could put them both in the same cage? I'd clean it of course, and as I said nothing aggressive happened, and when I separate them they look out the bars and sniff for each other (aww).

But I'll put up pictures of them, once everyone's awake, so you see who you're talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Your welcome
Aww, I'm glad they like to snuggle into the shirt, thats a good thing hehe I love to see them enjoy something that you did for them!
I think that you should work your way up to putting them in the same cage, like between three days-a week. So, let them out together for free-ranging, than each day, leave them in the cage together for a certain amount of time, and keep increasing it, and my advise to you would be to only put them together pernamently when you are 100o/o confident that they will be fine together, and at the moment I don't think your 100o/o sure? If you do think they will be fine now, than yes, put them together, but I would recommend you being at home for the day and having them close enough so you can keep your eye on them just incase anything happens. For now, or at least until you put them in the same cage, if they are not already, than you can put the cages side my side, so that they can make contact with eachother if they want and also get used to eachother even more.
And I must add that this is only advice, so you may want to wait another day for some other people to reply who have more experience with this sort of thing than me, there are some really good people on here, but you usually have to wait for replies because of te different times in different countries.
I would love to see some pictures of your boys They sound lovley and it will be nice to put faces to names
I hope this helps!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Update!

EDIT: Well, I put one picture of them in my Siggy!

What a day! Sorry I've not been on; had lots of chores to do! But good things have been happening, ratty-wise (and all around, but focusing on the rattys).

Yesterday, Remmy started to give me kisses and would kinda let me pet him. Considering the last few days he wasn't doing any of that, I was very excited. They've been doing so well together, I said that if they did just as well tomorrow (which is today), I'd let them move in with each other.

Aw.. I just tried to post some pictures - I need more posts! I'm sorry.

Today I got home, hungry but wanting to see my rattys. So I brought my sub into the bathroom and ate there while they played (and shared a little which they adored). Da Vinci was a good boy, and Remmy was popcorning everywhere!

Today I think I saw my first "power grooming". Da Vinci was cleaning Rem and then he checked his teeth. So cute! I just wish I could post pictures. Oh well, in a few more posts I will.

Thanks for the help Laydeer. You made me feel very welcome and helped bunches!

Last edited by Khodieylia; 08-03-2009 at 05:24 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Awww your welcome, I always love to help
The photo of your boys are soooo sweet!!! hehe!
It sounds like they are getting on really well together!! So yu are putting them in the same cage today? Well let us know how it goes with them!! I love to share my food with my boys! The only bad thing is that they snatch it from me and sometimes get my finger LOL
Don't you just love it when the rats give you kisses! It makes me feel all warm and cosy inside hehe!
You could get photos up the way I do, if you have a bebo, Facebook or myspace account with photoes on (or upload photos onto there) than you could just copy and paste them, I cheat and do that to because it saves messing around with uploading them directly on here (which I am usless at haha).
I'm happy to make you feel welcome
I'm wishing you all the luck in the world with your boys, let me know how it goes

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
introducing male rats, male rats, rats, young rats