Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Looking for degu advice/help!

753 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Rebecca Holden 
#1 ·
Me and my partner adopted two female degus about 2 years ago. They are both around 4 years old. Not sure if they are related. One is called diggies (a smaller degu) and kibble is a bigger degu. Diggies has always had a bold chin and every other month since we got them kibble always plucks the fur away around diggies eye. We went to the vets and they said it could be a behavioural pattern and over grooming that they may have always had and just to keep an eye on it. This has never stopped and they are very happy with each other more than not. Most of the time they chatter and cuddle. There cage is massive, they have two large chinchilla cages attached to each other including an extension for a nesting area. So they have all the room in the world and plenty of treats and toys etc. I asked the previous owner if diggies chin and eye was always like this and he said it came and went as well and the degus had a happy life with him (he just couldnt look after them anymore which is why we took them in). Anyway a year later we have moved to our new house and they have been fine. Diggies tale has always been more brissle at the end more of a paint brush style compared to kibble. But today I noticed her tail looked more stumpy and the fur at the end of her tail were missing. With a red looking sore at the stump end. The day before I noticed Kibble kept putting diggies tail in her mouth when she stood in front of her and has kept doing that today, diggies didnt make a noise she just ran of as if she knew to get out the way. So I'm wondering if kibble has caused this injury? (tail picture in photos). There was no arguing there still loving with each other and constantly chattering. I just dont get why kibble is doing this and if i should be concerend? Her eye is also missing fur again as usual as it happens every other month or so. Which is just a normal occurance. But its weird how the fur is missing and the tail injury at the same time. Unless its a dominant thing? But that shouldnt surely cause injury on another degu if so... I'm hoping someone with degus can help as vets never seem to be reliable here! Thanks in advance. (picture of fur loss around eye in pic as well)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.