Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

newbie posting links

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  AnimalFamily 
#1 ·
why do i have to post atleast 20 posts before i can include links or pictures?? i could have given someone some valuable information awhile ago but this forum won't let me post a link to the web site. i'm a member of several different forums and i've never heard of such a thing.
i realise it's a small deal and it won't be changed it's just frusterating and it's not a good way to welcome new members.

#3 ·
As said before they introduced the 20 posts because we were getting a lot of trolls advertising themselves and other things.

All you can do for now is go read recent posts offer your helpful information, get your 20 posts (it really doesn't take that long) and then be able to post pictures and links and ....... see the chat box (shhh.... its a secret :giggle:)

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to Paw Talk. I think you'll find that, in the long run, this forum is worth a little inconvenience you might feel at the start of your experience here. There are a huge number of pet owners, of all levels, that come here to share and care. There is a great deal to learn, and a great deal we'd like to learn from you. Don't get ahead of yourself though, and read the forums before you start posting. You might also want to check the dates of threads. Nothing says "Newb" like posting to a thread that died out three years ago.

As far as your posting restrictions go, I don't know any good forums that don't have some kind of posting restrictions on newbs. Otherwise they'd be full of spammers and trolls.

If you can't make 20 good posts without having to post links or pictures, ...then you probably don't have a lot to say anyway.

Bob

#5 ·
i think this is a good thing as i am from another forum also(many others) and just the other day trolls were posting nude pics and bad stuff so this is a great thing.

#6 ·
Also, you CAN add your pics as a thumbnail, and you could have written the link down replacing the .s with dots, then they could have copy n pasted it and change the dots to .s, if it was really valuable info you would both have taken the time to do so. Sorry, that sounds a bit mean but its true

#7 ·
we did have a lot of trolls lurking around for a while, we actually all wanted the change as it was so frustrating to members when trolls would come and cause chaos.

I know it can suck for newbies that really want to post a pic, but it works in the long run, when you are waiting rack up the posts by reading and adding feedback to things you are interested in. It doesn't take long to get 30 posts when you start here.

I only know one forum that doesn't restrict it is a herp forum that pictures are needed right away in a lot of cases, there are tons more mods and people to control that though than here

#9 ·
Honestly if you really want to post a picture you can upload it to your profile in an album and direct people there.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I guess they have to do what they have to do to prevent spam. But what one person considers spam isn't necessarily spam to someone else if what the post is about helps them. The definition of spam has grown too large. I consider spam, postings that are trying to sell something. Anything that is trying to give information or telling people about sites that are related to this one I don't consider spam if they aren't trying to sell a tangible item. Information is what the internet is about and any other pet related sites that offer information or fun things to do with out trying to sell me something is fine with me.
Thats the idea :) lol

#14 · (Edited)
That's weird because I just signed up the other day and when I read the "terms of use", I could have sworn it said 10 posts were required before adding pics etc. I even made a note of it so I wouldn't do anything wrong. Now when I try to find the posting rules [to see if I read it wrong] I can't find them anywhere. Suggestions?

Update:

I finally found the "Community Guidelines" and under "Spam" it says that a threshold of 10 posts is required to post links etc. That's not too bad.
I hope this has been helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.