*Sigh* I am a little concerned. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

*Sigh* I am a little concerned.

One of our chin parents recently asked to be put on our waiting list for two more chinchillas.

It sounds great, and Im flattered they're happy with one of our chins but the problem is:

She has only had two other chinchillas and one died of a brain tumor (I think) and the other one she still has. Two is the most she's ever had at once.

She bought our female from our first litter not long enough ago to get the feel of having two chinchillas. She's only a teenager, doesn't have a job, has a boyfriend, goes to school, is planning on going to college, and has ALOT of other animals in her household. Her mom would pay for anything so really not having a job isn't the problem.. It just bothers me for some reason.

I know she will take care of my baby, otherwise I wouldn't have sold her to her. I just don't know if she knows how much work it actually is to have that many chinchillas. And usually when you have that many, some tend to want to breed. She doesn't have the time right now.. Or money.

I have a hard time saying no. Im affraid she wont understand and will get mad at me. It will be rough because I go to school with her. This is one of the rough spots in being so young and breeding. I know I have to deal with this like I would ANY other situation... And I will. I guess Im just looking for support and other oppinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I say go with your gut. If you're worried about how she's going to care for the chins, don't sell. This is one of the tough issues with breeding - refusing a sale. The only thing I can suggest is honesty, lying about the situation will usually land you in a worse spot.

Stephanie

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I agree with Jade... I've had to refuse to sell pups before and although it's tough, you have to do what you think is right... Lying is never a good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

It's so hard. It's seems so easy to tell her someone's always ahead of her in the waiting list.

Until it becomes obvious...

I can't lie though. My mom has always advised against it. It definately will get you in a worse spot.

What should I tell her? She told me she wouldn't breed them... But when I got the chins from Christi, I wasn't planning on it at first either. I also had two females. She has her male and her female she just got from me.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I too have to agree with Jade. Your gut doesn't lie to you. I've turned down sales before.

A true friend won't hold it against you anyway.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I might sell her a same sex chin, but you have to do what you think is best for your chins.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

If your gut tells you something is off...refuse the sale. Don't lie, just tell her you are uncomfortable with adding more at a young and busy age. I lied to refuse a sale on a puppy once, but the guy was big and scarey. He was holding the pup up like a peice of meat and since they were pitbull pups, my gut screamed DOG FIGHTER!! So, since we didn't advertise a price for them, when he asked about that, we upped it to a ridiculous amount. I think we told him $1500 without papers. Well, no backyard dog fighter is going to pay that, so he dropped the pup and left empty handed. I'm not saying you should up the price to a ridiculous amount...I don't think you would have to fear for your life with this girl, but be honest. We only did what we did to avoid a huge problem because this guy was really scary and there was no way I was going to put one of my pups in a situation like that.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I know what it's like to sell chins to someone with a stipulation that they won't breed them --- and for them to turn around and do just that. Hindsight is 20/20 and I agree with Jade. If you have any qualms at all, don't sell.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Im just affraid that if she went into breeding- they wouldn't be taken care of up to my standards and as well as mine chins are.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Did you decide/talk to the girl? I agree that you should follow your gut, there is always a reason for those feelings, and it would be foolish to ignore them.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I havn't talked to her yet. I will see her tomorrow and talk to her tomorrow. Hopefully she will understand. I'll just tell her that Im gonna let her get used to having two for now because she has a busy teen life, and I will keep her in mind.