1 question at a time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

1 question at a time

I adopted a Chinchilla from my friend yesterday. He brought the cage, food, etc...

I have tons of questions, but I will go easy and ask them one at a time.

This Chinchilla had a "house" one the floor level of a 3 level cage. This was a plastic house. I read that plastic is no good. I took it out and replaced it with a nylon/fleece bottom "house".

Question 1, did I do the right thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

yes..plastic is = bad..they will chew and consume it. We used to have a wooden house cabin thing that she'd sleep in...she also like her hammock to sleep in sometimes too ...oh and because it was wood it satisfied her chewing habit safely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

was the plastic 'house' possibly a dust bath house. If so she can still use it for dust baths but they shouldn't be kept in the cage all the time. Have it out for her/his free run time..that way u can supervise that the chin isn't chewing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Personally I would use wood.
But to be honest, there's no need for a house in a well designed cage
In my big cages, the animals never use houses.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you both. It was one of those plastic domes you see them use for Chinchillas in Pet stores. He had already done a lot of chewing on it. The entrance was half gone.

He is sleeping in his new home today so I guess he is okay with it.

Which leads me to my second question. His house was on the lower level, I read somewhere in my research that it should be up on the top level. Since he is used to it on the lower level should I just leave it there. Is it okay to do a lot of rearranging so soon after a move? He is very lovable and tame, I don't want to scare him or make him uncomfortable if rearranging his cage would do that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Newborn Pup

it should be fine to move things around my cage changes about once every other week it keeps them from geting board with it and if you move the house 2 things may happen one ur chin may find some where else to sleep or he may go to where the house but if hes happy where its at just leave it

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks nightbird I will leave his house where it is at.

next question: He doesn't have a wheel or saucer. Until I can get him one how long should I let him out to play and exercise each day?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I was reading through some past threads and am beginning to think my cage needs some work. I wish I could show a picture but I do not have enough posts yet. It is big enough, but the shelves and the floor is all mesh. And it has two wire ramps. Do I need to replace all this? This has been his cage for a year, it came with him.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Newborn Pup

for out of cage time 30mins a day is good if the cage is big and has lots for them to do some time they dont even need it but it does help keep them more friendly and for the mesh that can be hard on their feet u should try to get some thing else or even just cover it with a pet blanket that u can pick up at the doller store here some ideas for ur cage
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f19/chin-cage-57995.html

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 AM

IMO you need at least one place in the cage with a solid platform.
It doesn't matter if it's a shelve, part of the bottom or something else.

As for the placement of a house, I'm not sure why it should be placed high.
You can put it where every you want. If you do put it at the top of the cage, just watch if your chin likes to move the house around. They can hurt them selves if they pull a house from the top of the cage to the bottom. So you might need to secure it

Personally I'm in love with www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk and www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk
They have some super nice toys and accessories for the cage

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks guys I have been reading more on the wire mesh. I plan to get some wood shelves. For now he does have 1 wood platform and 1 Lava ledge. I also took out the mesh floor on the bottom and made him a Fleece Liner. He seems to enjoy that so far. He hasn't chewed on it, or tugged at it at all.

Tomorrow is payday and I plan to splurge a bit on new toys and a wooden house for him.

I am amazed at how social he is, I believe he is only about 16 months old. He likes being handled and comes to the side of the cage to greet me every time I walk by. He has only been here for 5 days and seems he has been comfortable since day 1.

Here is a new question, I have searched a few forums and can't find an answer. He has his own room and at night am I supposed to leave the light off or turn it on?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Just turn them off
It gives him an idea of day and night.
They are most active at night and have good eyesight + their whiskers.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

I removed the plastic levels and added the wooded ledges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3933.jpg (59.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3935.jpg (57.1 KB, 11 views)

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM

It looks nice
A branch or two would be a nice addition though.

You might also want to thing about getting something in the middle of the cage. A big hammock or some other thing with a lot of space.
As it is now, your chin can fall quite far from top to bottom.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Part of the Pack

Looks great! I agree, something in the middle to stop a fall, but overall its wonderful! What a Lucky Chinchilla! I use those cages as well, and have changed the shelving to wood. Another idea for the bottom -so you can take that plastic out , what i did, was took wood, put plexi-glass over it, and added little wood "poop stoppers" around the edges. It keeps their poop and the bedding in the cage! (they also cant get to the plexi because the wood surrounds the outside) and now when they pee i can wipe it up instead of it soaking into wood, yuck. i added the poop stoppers around all the shelves. keeps the outside of the cage much cleaner
-love the pic of him in the hammock Looks like an ADORABLE chinnie