6 week old mating??!?! worried - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

hi,
my adult female gave birth to twins on june 25 (about 6 1/2 weeks ago). i separated out the mail immediately because i didnt want a breedback. well just now i was sitting here and i think one of the babies was mating with the other! it's certainly what it looked like. i was keeping them all together because it hasn't been 8 weeks yet. i spearated out the male baby, but i'm worried now. i'm worried for the male because he won't be getting milk now. i'm also really really worried about the female baby. she is way too young to be pregnant; especially from her twin. what do i do?!? am i worrying over nothing? i don't think i am.

also, the mother has been laying on her side a lot lately, i figured it was because the babies were drinking all her milk and irritating her. what should i do?!??

-so worried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Has Delusions of Safety

at six weeks they can not breed. They do not become sexually mature until about 9 months. You need to put the male baby back asap so he can eat. They were just playing, and showing dominace.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

are you sure? i'm pretty sure i read that males are sexually mature at 8 weeks, and that you should separate them at that time. so is it possible that he is an early developer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Part of the Pack

I havn't had baby chinnies yet but I know that when my degus had babies the male babies would "hump" each other a lot. I hope that's all it is for your little ones too.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc510
at six weeks they can not breed. They do not become sexually mature until about 9 months. You need to put the male baby back asap so he can eat. They were just playing, and showing dominace.
They are sexually mature before 9 months, it's just not recommended to breed females that young. However, some breeders put females in as early as 6 months if they have the size.
I would not worry about a 6 week old male doing any breeding. He's too young yet. By 12 weeks he would need to be separated from Mom and sister. Until then, I wouldn't be too concerned. You're probably okay to put him back with mom and sis for a couple more weeks (I usually wean at 8 weeks)...he's most likely just telling his sister he's the boss

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

The normal sexual maturity is 4 months for males and 6 months for females. But there have been pregnancies in younger chins. At six weeks I highly doubt your babies are mating. It was probably just a dominance thing. But it's better to be safe than sorry. How much does the male baby weigh? (In grams) You could try rotating them with mom to make sure the boy gets enough milk. Also mix calf-manna with his regular pellets and sprinkle powdered goats milk on top of the pellets. (Health food store or feed store) If the daddy chin will except him you could put him in with dad, at least he won't be lonely that way. Most chins make great dads.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

i don't know too much about cin babies sorry but i can't help with this one

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather

Tags
health food store