Abused Chin? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Abused Chin?

Has anyone ever owned an abused chinchilla before? Abbi, our newest chin, was abused by her cage-mates. She has bites on her ears and is very fearful of people and chinchillas. She seems to love us, which makes me feel better. She doesn't shake and sits on our laps sleeping. She is in a different cage from our other 3, who are housed together. The cage is in the same room and everything is fine, but when we do supervised play times, my 3 standards squak and attack her. I know it takes time to get them acquainted but this seems not like them. They have gotten along with kittens, dogs, hamsters, bunnies...no problem. They never seemed phased at all by anything but this new chinchilla is causing them to want to fight with her.

Is this normal? Even my 4 week old chinchilla is attacking her. No damage has been done, because we are watching closely and they are not in the same cage...but it seems weird. Any suggestions on how to help them not fight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM

One of the reasons, they are probably fighting with her because of the baby. They probably see Abbi as a threat and want to protect the baby. Also, many females that are already bonded with a male will never accept another female. This is why when breeders want to make a trio, they suggest you have 2 bonded females and introduce them to a male. So, your older female probably doesn't want Abbi around.

The best thing for you to do right now is to keep Abbi separate from everyone. First off, she is only 4 months old and you do not want to take the risk of her accidently getting pregnant since it can be very dangerous for her while she's so young. Later, when your other chins don't have a baby, Abbi is older, and it's safe for Abbi to breed (assuming she and your boy have pedigrees) then you could try seeing if you can slowly introduce everyone properly and have playtime together.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Yea, this is what I plan to do. They are separated and I sat and watched how they acted last night and I think that is exactly what it is. They are pedigree and we want to breed her and the baby. I know the male also does not like her either. But in watching them, they both seem to push him behind the igloo and then they "stand guard" and attack the cage when they see her move in her cage. So, I think that is why she is acting the way she is. (That or when we sleep Abbi starts stuff with them!) And I do not want her pregnant now, I just did not know if this was a normal behavior. They never acted like before to any animal. Thanks for the info! It is a huge help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree that this is normal behavior. Glad you were able to give Abbi a good home.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.