Advice needed on seperating bonded chinchilla pair - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Advice needed on seperating bonded chinchilla pair

Hi everyone,
I adopted 3 chinchillas on Sunday, a 3 yr old female, a 3 yr old male and their almost 4 month old baby girl. I'm going to put the baby girl ( Delilah) in with my 9 month old female (Ellie) this saturday.
I'd like to put the 3 yr old female ( Isabelle) in with Ellie & Delilah also. Then try to put the 3 yr old male ( Rocky) in with my 10 month old male ( Bullwinkle).
Does this sound like a feasible plan? Currently, I have their 3 cages sitting all together so they are very interested in meeting at the bars and sniffing at each other. They'll come out to play for the first time all together tonight. I'll repeat that again for friday night.
Anyway, sorry this is so long. My question is this... Is it okay to seperate a bonded pair who have been together for almost 2 1/2 years and who have had litters together? Will it depress them?
Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Hello,
Well Elle & Delilah came out on saturday to play. There was no interaction between them, but they sure do love running around and getting into mischief. So yesterday while they were out I put Delilah into Elle's cage. The first few minutes went ok...but Elle didn't seem to appreciate Delilah going into her wooden log thing. They ended up having a bit of a scuffle.
Luckily, it ended very quickly ( with no one getting hurt) and I seperated them right away.
So today we're just working on being out of the cage but not having free reign of the whole room. I'm going to use a circular baby gate and give them that space to play.
Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm going about this the best way for my babies? Would it be better if I also brought Isabelle ( Delilah's Mom) out also? I was afraid she'd be overly protective of her baby. Not sure though...what do you all think? My goal is to get all 3 girls in one cage together, as long as Rocky ( Isabelle's "hubby") seems to adjust ok too.
Thanks!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM

From the experience I have had with my pair, who have bred and who are obviously in love! They will be depressed for a short time period (no eating, drinking...lots of sleeping) but then they will start back on everything. My male, who was separated due to my female having babies...he would not come near me and barked at me when I got to close. Recently they have been re-united and he is happy and no longer hates me. With my pair, I think if they ever had to seperate it would be very hard to get my male to be nice and love me again...my female would probably be ok. She just goes crazy searching the cage for him. Goodluck. Keep their cages close to each other it might be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 AM

I didn't read your last post...

I would be careful trying to get them to all "mesh" right away. It takes a while to get them to a move in together stage and it may never happen. I wanted my four in a cage together forever and it wont work out. My female is always over-protective of her babies with any other female she seems to be around. Her first baby (who is now 8 months, lives in a cage with a white mosaic female-fixed) and mommy to this day wants to fight her, but will kiss her baby when he gets his nose close enough. I would keep doing supervised play times, and maybe you will get lucky enough to have them move in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

I would re-arrange the cages, so the one who lives there doesn't think it's their's. Put some stuff that smells like the other chin in the new cage and totally make it "new". Then intro them, but of course watch them carefully and separate if there are any scuffles.

There is no one TRUE way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:48 AM

I'm confused. Why are chinchilla's seperated after babies? My parents used to breed chinchillas and I don't remember anything about seperating them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerthedruid View Post
I'm confused. Why are chinchilla's seperated after babies? My parents used to breed chinchillas and I don't remember anything about seperating them.
You need to separate the male and female to avoid a breedback. The female can become pregnant as soon as she gives birth, so you want to separate the male from her a little bit before her due date and keep them separated until about 2 weeks after the birth. If you don't separate and a breedback occurs, then the female has to support two sets of kits at once. The first set is the one she already gave birth to and is nursing. The second set is the ones developing inside of her. As you can imagine this is very draining on the mother's resources and is unhealthy.