Affection - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Affection

We have had Chinnie for over a year. He is in my opinion the smartest, cutest and lovliest chin in the world (but we all feel that way about our pets dont we?). He has always been social with us but recently hes become really affectionate. Chinnie eats mazuri chin food and has fresh veggies a few times a week. We have fruit trees in our yard and he always has fresh branches to munch and play on (chin safe tree varietys of course). We have our bedroom chin proofed and he is allowed free run of it from 9pm to 12am so he has 3 hours of good play time. We have all sorts of toys and obstacles set up for him and we try to change his play area as much as we can. 3 nights a week he has an hour of supervised play with our three degu girls, lucy, hodge and podge, this seems to be chinnies absolute favorite thing to do, they all get along famously, but we still make sure to always be in the room with them just in case, plus its so fun watching them all romp around and play . Well recently i have been going to bed earlier so i end up laying in bed for some of chinnies playtime (hubby tells chinnie its bedtime at 12 and chinnie jumps into his cage). Well during this alone time chinnie has taken to fussing over me almost the whole time. He busily cleans my arms making chirping noises the whole time and he inspects my face and licks the spots that he thinks need to be cleaned. He sits on my chest and rubs his paws on my chin and chirps quite loudly and after all of this he lays down on me and makes soft cooing noises. I dont mind all of the attention at all, i know he must be lonely for some attention, and i love having a connection with my pets. My question is do you all think that he is getting enough love and playtime? His cage is huge and he has every toy imaginable but i cant help but think that he may want a girlfriend. I would have to get him neutered though and i dont know of anyone on the island who does it. We did try to match him up with Deja, a beautiful white female we rescued sometime ago, but she wasnt in to him, and she had a little baby girl soon after we got her. Deja and Roo (her baby) were adopted out and now we just have chinnie. Any suggestions are welcome i want my baby boy to be as happy as possible. Sorry for going on and on
Attached Images
File Type: gif DSCN6365.gif (55.2 KB, 7 views)

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Proud New Mommy

Aww, he's very cute!

Sounds to me like Chinnie has a great life. He has Degu friends and a totally devoted human companion. I'm sure if he's never had a chinchilla playmate before, he's not missing out. Specially if his only other known chinchilla was a mean ol' woman chinchilla.

Have you thought about another male chinchilla? Males seem to be less aggressive than females and tend to get along easier. How you go about the introduction process can really help too. There's plenty of different ways to do it.

Neutering is a pretty intense surgery for a chinchilla-- they're so little and fragile. Finding someone on your island might be hard to do, but you're also going to want to find someone that really knows what they're doing.

Steph has a great article on her webpage if you want to check it out.

http://www.chinnitude.com/neuter.htm

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I wonder if i should start looking for a male companion for chinnie. I think it would really improve his quality of life. There is only so much he can do with the degus before they become overwhelmed and squeak in his face . He tries to play rough with them and they are just too small to keep up. Does anyone know of a good chinchilla breeder on or around vancouver island british columbia? I would love to add another chilla to our clan .

Lois Isabel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with Rocheal about neutering. Often chins have complications from neutering. It sounds to me like your chin loves you and is trying to show you. I have many who groom me when given the opportunity. It is a sign of affection not loneliness.

A same sex friend may work for you but you always take the chance that the chins will not get along regardless of thier sex. Then again more chins are always better than less chins.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Proud New Mommy

They are like chips and it's easy to get in over your head!!

Then there is another chinchilla to take care of and give attention to. You'd have to buy another setup before you brought him home just to be on the safe side incase they didn't get along.

I think you're taking wonderful care of him and he's very happy with what he has.

Maybe he likes that the degus can't keep up with him!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau