alternative for expensive dust - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

alternative for expensive dust

Hello,

I donīt have chinchillas but I figure you might know where to get decent priced dust. I need it for my 8 degus and three gerbils. They go through a lot of it since they also use it as their toilet. I buy chinchilla dust from Kaytee which is approx. $7 for 2 lbs. and something.
I want to use dust since it is supposed to be better for their fur even though they are not as fragile as chinchillasī.
Donīt tell me that I should leave it in the cage for only a short time. I donīt want to do that with the degus because they need their group smell and the gerbils should have theirs too because they have a lot of bedding in their cage which would be a bigger hassle if I had to change it more often.
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

The Kaytee chinchilla dust runs about $5.89 for 2.5lb's at my local petsmart. After opening it and feeling it's texture, I don't see it as a good dust for chins. It's very course, and can damage chins fur. Blue cloud or blue sparkle is more expensive, but does the job. Also, a dust as course as that, doesnt penetrate a chins thick fur very well. For animals that dont have such delicate fur, or depend on dust baths as much as chins - its a great dust. I just dont like it for my chin. Just my opinion though, whatever works for you is good all around.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi,

I checked the dust you recommended. I think it would be cheaper if I bought it in bulk but I donīt know what the shipping costs are. Can you give me an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

go to www.lonestarchinchilla.com, they have the best shipping rates, in my opinion, unless someone knows who may be cheaper? you can see if you local pet or feed store (where they sell horse,cow and other foods like that) might special order it for you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Proud New Mommy

I would check at the local feed store and see if they can order it for you. Lonestar has the best prices on dust, I believe. None of our feed stores can order it because the company doesn't distribute to them. Hopefully they distribute to someone! I'd drive miles and miles to get free shipping off Blue Sparkle dust. It's so heavy.

On the plus side, They'll send you a magnet if you order from them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Try contacting some chinchilla ranchers like Jags in Michigan...They are in Houghten Lake and may be able to sell you Blue Cloud. I got my last bag from a large ranch in Ohio but he brought it to me when I picked up some chins from him...50 lbs of it only cost me $12. I would try Jags and see if you can purchase from them since they are closer, shipping may be less for you. www.rrchinchillas.com

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
dust bath, dust baths