Another Chin! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Another Chin!

Well, I am officially in the works of getting another Chin to help keep Miss Hailey company. I have no clue how old she is, which is a big drawback, so this time I want to get a chin through a breeder. Hopefully in Indy or the Southern Indiana area.

A main question I have is should I get a baby boy or girl! I love my Hailey, but I really want kits of my own and she has had kits before so I know she can produce If I was to get a male kit, would it grow up and be able to possibly mate with her? Or should it be an older male that is introduced to her? I know the process of getting chins together is grueling but I am willing. I love Hailey and she is tremendous fun so I want more!

Please give me any advice you have on the matter. I wanna do this right. But I really want a baby kit to raise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Guarded by Waffles

congratulations on the second chin!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

I know nothing about chinchillas,but wouldn't it be stressful if you got her a male friend and they bred all the time? Or do you plan on fixing one after they had a baby?

Either way good luck on finding a perfect new friend!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Well from what I have read they can only breed 2 times a year and through each birth they usually only have 1-3 babies. I will probably keep them seperate for the most part but close enoug they can be together. But I am getting a baby and I am not sure they have any anyway at the moment, it is not happening until mid january!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
Well from what I have read they can only breed 2 times a year and through each birth they usually only have 1-3 babies. I will probably keep them seperate for the most part but close enoug they can be together. But I am getting a baby and I am not sure they have any anyway at the moment, it is not happening until mid january!
Ohhhh...LOL...see,I know nothing bout chins.I am used to rats,who can have several litters a year.

When you get your new chinnie,you have to post pictures! But I think you know that by now!!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:05 AM
Part of the Pack

I had a male chin and felt he should have some company. He was about 3 years old when I found him a girl =) He is neutered though which is different in your case. But the introduction process wasnt that bad. Males and females get along great.
I just had them in seperate cages in the same room for about a week. Then put the cages next to eachother for a few days. No agression so I let them out around the room together, they had their little fights, but nothing serious. The first night I had them together Kassy, the female layed on her side and Marlo, the male layed right on top of her. Totally comfy! =)
I REALLY wish I could have bred them, but I got them from pet stores when they were older (one was abandoned, the other abused - she is half blind due to eye trauma, and I have had her for 2 years and she is just now WANTING/letting me pet her, but is very skittish of new people) anyways, I didnt know their backround and couldnt breed them. =(
So, I would say get whatever you want! haha. They should get along great as long as you introduce them right. I did a lot of research =)
Lucky you! Hope all goes well!
Nikki
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

When I first got Hailey (who is an estimated 2 years old), she was very confortable at home. I had never had a chin or even heard of them prior to my boyfriend buying her. I did all the research a new mommy could do! But she is pretty spoiled and she knows it. I am thinking of getting a baby boy! Any name suggestions??
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Part of the Pack

What color are you thinking of getting? Do you know?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I have a standard right now, and according to the pet-store beige would be the next highest in price or the second lowest however you read it. I am open to anything I just am short on cash and my boyfriends buying him...but I am pretty sure I want a beige male. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Part of the Pack

I have a hetero beige female and shes absolutely beautiful!! Personally I like black velvet, hetero beige, and white. But just look around! Beige sounds like a good choice =) Then again, I dont know anything about breeding and what they would produce...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

First of, you really need to ask you self why you want to get babies. Is it because they are cute? ('cause they relly are). If "cute" is the only reason, I would strongly recomend getting a girl.

I'm not quite sure if I got this right; but you want them to spent most the time in two seperat cages, if you get a male?
If I got this right, then you definetely got to get a girl. My opinion is that it's cruel not to let them stay together, so they can cuttle, if they like each other.

Even though it's fun to be a pet breeder, it's also very hard. Fx. when the babies you've sold dies because of some flaw the new owner made, or just if a babe dies a couple of houers young.

And you dont breed a specific colour to get more money for your babies... Thats just wrong
IF you want to breed, you need to find a male you like, not just some random male, and your GIRL needs to like him too.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 12-15-2006 at 04:04 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have to add...if you want to breed just for profit (which I don't think thats your plan by reading your posts ) you won't be making much money anyway.I mean,breeding does take up alot of money...what with housing,feeding,supplies and vet care for the animals.Most of the money you would make,goes right back to caring for the animals.

There is no real profit in breeding animals!

* Lisa *

Tags
black velvet, hetero beige, pet store, pet stores, rat cage, seperate cages, vet care