Antibiotics to Avoid - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Eye ointment shouldn't be a problem since it isn't absorbed via the GI tract.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is cipro. susp. safe? That's what the vet gave and I just want to make sure its ok.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Rodentologist

Ciproflaxin is very closely related to Enroflaxin (Baytril). It is fine in guinea pigs (who also have severe antibiotic intolerances), but can be a rather harsh antibiotic on the system in general.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm supposed to give him yogurt as well to help with his flora.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Rodentologist

I don't know nearly as much about chins, but for guinea pigs it's not recommend because they're not designed to digest lactose. Instead, it's recommended to crush up acidopholus tablets or give them a probiotic like BeneBac.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I talked to the breeder and she suggested benebac, but the vet said live culture, plain yogurt. This is really frustrating because I don't want to harm him when I'm trying to get him better. :pullhair:
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I ditto the Benebac or just straight acidophilus. Sometimes you can find refrigerated live culture acidophilus at health stores and such.

Just beware, he may not care for the cipro. It and Baytril are very bitter.

Stephanie

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Rodentologist

Very true, Jade. I often "cut" Baytril or Cipro with snow cone flavoring or fruit juice or carrot juice to help it go down. It's very sweet and sugary, and not ideal for long term use, but it certainly helps get all the medicine in!

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He hates the cipro! It won't hurt him right? It's harsh, but that won't ruin his system as long as he gets the good flora? So I should not get the yogurt and just get benebac? What is the difference between the two? The lactose?

Thank you guys so much, I greatly appreciate your help
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I called the vet and asked if I could use benebac instead of yogurt and she said that she has seen a great outcome with yogurt and that it doesn't have lactose. I thought all diary products had lactose? Anyway, I got plain, cultured yogurt that has active cultures, including L. Acidophilus. I hope this works. Please let me know your thoughts/ideas.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The yogurt shouldn't be a problem. I've used it in a pinch. And no, the cipro is a 'safe' antibiotic, just make sure he is eating and his stools stay solid.

Stephanie

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He has to have .26 cc of the cipro and 1/4 of a teaspoon of yogurt. Does that sound ok. It looks like a lot of cipro. Sorry for asking so many dumb questions. I'm just extremely nervous.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Take the .26 CC out of the syringe and put it into a teaspoon. As long as you're dosing it correctly in the syringe (and not mistakenly using 2.6), you'll see it isn't a whole lot at all. We're not able to give dosages on the forum, but you can call your vet and ask them to double check the amount if you're uncomfortable with it.

Adding a little bit of flavored yogurt to the plain might make him more apt to take that, too. One of them sell an 'all natural' flavored variety with no corn syrups, etc. in it. I'd pick up a 4 pack of those and use it to flavor the plain yogurt. I think it's in a peachy colored label, if I remember right.

Stephanie

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Playful Pup

You may first want to see how the chin does on Cipro first, he may not need yogurt/ bene-bac at all, myself I don't like to introduce new things into a chin's diet when he's undergoing treatment, it can potentially make things worse. People advise yogurt/ bene-bac with some medications because they can destroy some of the good gut bacteria, causing gut upset as evidenced by a change in stool or a loss of appetite. But if the chin doesn't get those problems from the medication then I'd say "don't fix it if it ain't broke," because treating a non-existent problem can lead to more problems.

We've used Baytril (haven't used Cipro) on and off for many years at our rescue without offering anything else (yogurt/ bene-bac), and while the chin may have a reduced appetite for awhile, they come out of it just fine. You'll find the advice on this varies, many people do start offering yogurt/ bene-bac right away, and if adding that change of diet at a time when the chin's already under the weather and on new medication doesn't cause more problems, then you're ok.

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Playful Pup

what about aureomycin??? think thats the right spelling