Antibiotics to Avoid - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The PLACE Rule

The use of Gram-positive spectrum oral antibiotics can seriously alter the sensitive balance of bacterial flora in the cecum.

Remember antibiotics to be avoided by using the PLACE rule.

Penicillin
Lincomycin
Ampicillin, Amoxicillin (or Clavamox)
Cephalosporins (such as Omnicef, Cephalexin), Clindamycin
Erythromycin

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 10:55 AM

Probably a stupid question but if I'm on Erythromycin-I put it on my face it can't hurt him Right?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

As long as the chin isn't licking your face or hands.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:41 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Shouldn't clavamox be included?

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:55 PM

Isn't clavamox ampicillin or amoxicillin?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:11 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I know that clavamox is a combination of amoxicillin and something else. Does it go by amoxicillin anyways?

Candice

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, it's included in the 'no-no' antibiotics. The main ingredient is amoxicillin.

Quote:
The information for the combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid (sodium clavulanate) is the same as for Amoxicillin except that the Clavulanate is able to protect the Penicillin structure from destruction by Staphylococci.* This means that this combined medication can be used against anything Amoxicillin could be used for plus Staphlylococcal infections (usually skin infections).
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_clavamox.html

Stephanie

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:43 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Thanks Steph. I guess my only concern would be for new owners...I have had several new owners ask if Clavamox is safe because it doesn't have the characteristic "illin" or "ycin" on the end.

Candice

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll add it to the list! Feel free to copy it to POTN too!

Stephanie

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Thanks for the info!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 05:20 AM
Playful Pup

This sort of enhances what Jade already said, and adds a little. It was written by a DVM:

(http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00295.htm)

Antibiotic Administration

Chinchillas rely on a complex balance of microorganisms in the digestive tract to ferment non-digestible fiber. Any disruption in this system can change pH, interfere with motility, and promote bacterial overgrowth. Gram-negative bacteria and clostridial overgrowths can lead to diarrhea, enterotoxemia, and death. Avoid any antibiotic that has a selective gram-positive spectrum. This includes the beta-lactams (penicillins and cephalosporins), clindamycin, lincomycin, and erythromycins.

PS- Jade, thanks for your outstanding articles on antibiotics and malocclusion, it's wonderful that word is getting around! =)

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Very old topic, but a great one. Just saw it and had to post! I wont forget those because I am allergic to all of those!

Dog Mommy to: *Ginger *Callie
Fish Mommy to: *Phantom
Chin Mommy to: *MaKenzie *Zander *Skylar
*Galaxy *Kailani *Bryson-Knight *Moonshadow *Atmosphere
Rest In Peace: *Landen 8/12/02 *Liberty-Starr 12/7/03 *Nova 9/15/04

Join us at Nibbler Niche -
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

So if those are the bad ones, what are the antibiotics that are safe for chins? What is the most commonly used that is best and safest for them?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Safe anti-biotics:
  • Trimethoprim-Sulfa (aka Bactrim, Sulfa-trim)
    Baytril (Enrofloxacin)
    Gentamycin
    Flagyl (aka Metronidazole, use only in low doses for short durations. Has been anecdotally linked to liver problems)
    Doxycycline
    Oxytetracycline
    Marbofloxacin
    Griseofulvin
    Fenbendazole (anti-protozoal, used most often against Giardia, but still safe)

Stephanie

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Playful Pup

I have a question...Merlot was on erythromycin for conjunctivitis-it was an eye ointment- I posted several places that that was what I was using and no one said anything...should I avoid it in the future? It cleared up his eye in about a week. Just wanted to check!

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist