anyone else have a pet that plays with their chin lol - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

anyone else have a pet that plays with their chin lol

my cat got into the room when i let the chinchillas out a few days ago lol shes 8 and pretty lazy. and she loves to play with them. doesnt use her claws, theyll be runnin around and she'll just run over them, headbutt them or stop and sniff eachothers nose then run away from eachother XD its the most adorable thing ive seen lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4260.jpg (55.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4271.jpg (51.4 KB, 14 views)

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
chinchilla breeder

That is very dangerous and should not be allowed. It could also really stress your chinchillas out cats are preditors and chinchillas are prey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

No, our old cat and dog could never play with my animals
The cat ignored them, but he was fully aware they were there, and if they ever got out while he was there I'm sure he would have tried and kill and eat them

Our new dog has sniffed them, but she's a bit unsure about them and barks at them.
They really do not care, but I'm not sure what she would do with them, if she got the chance.

I do know of some people who let their dog or cats play with their animals, and there's no problem with it at all.

I think it depends on the animals. If you have a cat that's used to hunting outside, it's not the best thing in the world. The same goes for a dog that's used for hunting, or shows a lot of instinct in that direction.

I saw this super cute picture once.
A cat was laying beside a woman who had some chinchillas out.
A baby chin got onto the cats tummy, found a nipple and started sucking.
Mind you this was a male cat, but he just started purring >_<
The picture was so cute, and this cat never hurt the chinchillas. He just let them do what ever they wanted

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 07-24-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with Kristy. You should not allow your cat to play with the chins. Cats can infect chins with pastuerella, ringworm and other illnesses.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 PM
chinchilla breeder

There are always the "exception" There have been too many tradegies it only takes one accdental swipe or pounce for your chinchilla to die a slow lingering death. I have had loose chinchillas that my dog has ignored, I even had one female escape a carrier and chase one of or cats. But it is a avoidable risk. and if your cat or dog kills your chinchilla because you thought that it would be "safe" then the death of the chinchilla is 100% on you.

I understand nature and accidents. Cats and dogs have hunting instincts. I never understand why people try and fight instincts that come naturally to their pets. Animals are not little people in fur coats. they do not reason things out the way people do.

And like Cathy said cats and dogs can carry things that are deadly to chinchillas...rabbits can to for the record. I keep my cats and the dog out of the chinchilla room just because I wouldn't risk them.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckane View Post
I agree with Kristy. You should not allow your cat to play with the chins. Cats can infect chins with pastuerella, ringworm and other illnesses.
o.O...Not if the cat is fed on a good diet and has no known history of parasites. It's just stereotype to associate cats with parasites.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
o.O...Not if the cat is fed on a good diet and has no known history of parasites. It's just stereotype to associate cats with parasites.
You are so right.

ABC:
Your opinion, the other is my opinion.
I would never let my dog play with my animals, because I do not know if she would think they were food.
But I do know people who has animals that act totally different, where it's no problem.

Nothing you can say will get those animals to change their behaviour.

I would not put smaller animals together. But we are talking dogs and cats. Some of the most domesticated species out there.

And not to be a *****, but the way you describe it, your animals get out by accident quite a lot... I can not understand how they can get to a room where there are dogs and cats when they get out by accident.... So maybe you should stop being so harsh.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 07-24-2010 at 03:26 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Rodentologist

I also think this is not the best idea in the world. Nobody lets their animals play together because they think they'll be injuries -- accidents don't happen because plan for them.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 AM
chinchilla breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
And not to be a *****, but the way you describe it, your animals get out by accident quite a lot... I can not understand how they can get to a room where there are dogs and cats when they get out by accident.... So maybe you should stop being so harsh.

I have been breeding chinchillas for about 14 years now and I have close to 100. I do not feel I am being harsh. It is the truth and you are quite rude. My animals do not escape a lot. I have had a few get out over the years but I could count them on 1 hand which is why each one is so easily rememberable.

I have been around a long time and I know a lot of chinchilla owners. I have been on a lot of chinchilla forums and have seen a lot of people lose animals to tragedies that could be prevented. The escape from the carrier was when I moved houses into with my husband and when you open a door with a loose chinchilla they sometimes hop out it. But at least once a week I hear someone cry my dog/cat/ferret killed my chinchilla on a forum.

and for you to be nasty about me having possibly a dog or cat in the room is hypocritical of you when you just told this person it was ok. I keep my other pets out of the chinchilla room.

I never said it never works only it is a bad idea. I know people that it works for. It is still a risk and if your animal dies from it you are to blame.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

wow o.o i wasnt trying to start a fight people

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Playful Pup

i have had 8 cats at a time and i would never let them i a room with my chins...but i have a dog that sleeps with me at night(he's a chihuahua/toy fox terrier) and my chin loved to play with him thru the cage...she would come down and greet him and she was not scared at all...we would watch very carefully if they were out together and always at arms length just for precaution...if i didn't know how they reacted to each other i would not let them out together..i don't let my chins out at the same time because they fight...dur! they're in separate cages...guinea pigs are fun with chins and my chin likes our hamster also! it depends on the animals involved...but all my cats were great mousers...even inside they would find them if we had them...if they were in the cupboards we would open them and they would find and kill them...my dog is a little prince...he doesn't like wet grass or snow or cold 8) our dog is trained pretty well also...if i even snap my fingers he will back to a wall and sit just about every time when the chins are out

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Newborn Pup

Agreed! you shouldn't let your cat in the rrom with yur chins. cause the cat can hurt them. Our dog is a Shiba Inu . and her breed is to hunt small animals. and anything that moves fast she'll go and get it kill it and want a reward for doing so. She killed my son's hamster snuck up from the basement and fallowed the ball witht he hamster in it out to the kitchen and opend the ball up some how and got the hamster out. i give the hamster credit it did put up a good fight but in the end my dog used it as a chew toy for a few seconds. didn't shread it or anything jsut shook it like it was a piece of meat. she wanted to be rewared for that but she got punished for it .and she knew she did wrong. so from now on my dog either goes out or up in my room witht he door locked so she can't get out and harm my chins or the hamsters ever again. Now i have a master lock on my chin cage cause i have two curious boys who will opne the chin cage just ot pet them but my chins know that when the cage door opens they can get out. so i had to buy a mast lock with a key and put it on there so they don't get my chins while the dog is out and not some where she can't harm the animals ..

Please use caution when you let your chins out to play. yeah you might think it's cute that thier getting along and all but that's not the case when the cat decides that it''s hungry and wants to eat a chin .... i think cats a worse when it come to fat moving prey in their eyes.. cats in the wild kill faster than than anyother animal out there think.. so if you don't wanna be crying one day casue you lost your chins cause the cat killed them . listen to what we're all telling you.
I want my chins to live a long and healthy life with me and my family. I don't ever want them to be killed beacuse i thought it was cute casue i let my dog in the same room with my chins for playtime .. i'd never be able to live with myself if i was selfish in that way ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Chinchillas View Post
There are always the "exception" There have been too many tradegies it only takes one accdental swipe or pounce for your chinchilla to die a slow lingering death. I have had loose chinchillas that my dog has ignored, I even had one female escape a carrier and chase one of or cats. But it is a avoidable risk. and if your cat or dog kills your chinchilla because you thought that it would be "safe" then the death of the chinchilla is 100% on you.

I understand nature and accidents. Cats and dogs have hunting instincts. I never understand why people try and fight instincts that come naturally to their pets. Animals are not little people in fur coats. they do not reason things out the way people do.

And like Cathy said cats and dogs can carry things that are deadly to chinchillas...rabbits can to for the record. I keep my cats and the dog out of the chinchilla room just because I wouldn't risk them.

Children & Animals are gifts from god.
To be cherished here on earth for as long as
as we are here !!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Newborn Pup

that's how my chins are too. they play with the dog thru the cage. now they get my dog rilled up at times lol lol from teseing her thru the cage bars . she barsk at them and stuff but realizes that they can't get to her. but they toure her something terriable.. and it's funny sometiems but others it's like i wanna pull my hair out !!!! lol lol and chins are smart so they know what they are doing ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofthemoon View Post
i have had 8 cats at a time and i would never let them i a room with my chins...but i have a dog that sleeps with me at night(he's a chihuahua/toy fox terrier) and my chin loved to play with him thru the cage...she would come down and greet him and she was not scared at all...we would watch very carefully if they were out together and always at arms length just for precaution...if i didn't know how they reacted to each other i would not let them out together..i don't let my chins out at the same time because they fight...dur! they're in separate cages...guinea pigs are fun with chins and my chin likes our hamster also! it depends on the animals involved...but all my cats were great mousers...even inside they would find them if we had them...if they were in the cupboards we would open them and they would find and kill them...my dog is a little prince...he doesn't like wet grass or snow or cold 8) our dog is trained pretty well also...if i even snap my fingers he will back to a wall and sit just about every time when the chins are out

as we are here !!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Newborn Pup

not everyone is perfect . it happends even to the best animal owners . thier pets get out everynow and again. my dog all she did last summer was escape from the house ... so don't feel bad . it happends .. chinci you need to stop being so rude your self

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Chinchillas View Post
I have been breeding chinchillas for about 14 years now and I have close to 100. I do not feel I am being harsh. It is the truth and you are quite rude. My animals do not escape a lot. I have had a few get out over the years but I could count them on 1 hand which is why each one is so easily rememberable.

I have been around a long time and I know a lot of chinchilla owners. I have been on a lot of chinchilla forums and have seen a lot of people lose animals to tragedies that could be prevented. The escape from the carrier was when I moved houses into with my husband and when you open a door with a loose chinchilla they sometimes hop out it. But at least once a week I hear someone cry my dog/cat/ferret killed my chinchilla on a forum.

and for you to be nasty about me having possibly a dog or cat in the room is hypocritical of you when you just told this person it was ok. I keep my other pets out of the chinchilla room.

I never said it never works only it is a bad idea. I know people that it works for. It is still a risk and if your animal dies from it you are to blame.

as we are here !!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Newborn Pup

Keeper of the Chins

Our dog, Molly, has become the keeper of the chins. She loves to look into their cages and come "nose to nose" with them. We never allow the chins and dogs to play freely together for obvious reasons. We also keep the chin caged locked in the event that Molly unlatches it by accident.

Tags
cat, chinchilla, play