Baby Chinchilla Emergency - need quick advise! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Baby Chinchilla Emergency - need quick advise!

Yesterday my female chinchilla gave birth to 3 beautiful babies. Today when I went to check on them, I noticed that one was missing half of its front leg. (it was not missing yesterday...)

I inspected the cage closely to see if there is anywhere that the young could have gotten its leg caught - but I cant find anything. The only thing that myself and one of the techs at my Vet Clinic concluded was that the mother or another young must have bitten it off.

My dilemma is as follows: The young is a day old. He is missing part of his front leg, and part of the bone is exposed. There is no blood, and he is still moving around. My exotic vet is out until tomorrow - so I can't do much at this time.

In addition, I am afraid to move the mother, injured baby, and other young to the vet clinic - I do not want to stress the mother or young out. But the advise one clinic gave me was to bring them in this week to either euthanize the baby - or attempt an amputation.

I do not like giving up hope on anything - but they also dont know how an amputation will go. I don't know what to do with him in the mean time - because I want to make sure he can get plenty of milk from the mom - but I dont want her to hurt him.

I've never bottled fed a chinchilla before, and I don't know how often to feed him. I am so lost, upset, and confused right now. I can't get a vets advise until tomorrow... and I'm worried sick.

Has anyone ever had a mom try to eat the young before? Or has anyone had a chinchilla lose a limb in the past? And what about nursing? I will take any advise that I can get. I am so worried, and I feel like I need to do something - but there is no vet avaliable for me to go to. HELP!!!!!!!!!

~Chinchilli Day...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What's your excuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

For the most part, there's something wrong with the baby if mom chews off a body part. But if she starts to chew on some of the other kits, you need to find an other female you can put the kits with, or you can bottle feed them.

First of all, you really need to move them into a small cage where everything is clean. Exposed bon is a very bad thing, and if the little guy gets an infection in the bone, you need to get him put down.

I've had a male where we had to get some of his front leg removed. He was 8 or 9 at the time.
I'm not sure I would do it again with an adult animal, but with such a young kit, it will learn to live with it.

I've had a mom and two kits, a couple of days old, to the vet, and as long as you do not stress mom will not stress and then the kits will be just fine.
Actually I've only had one female that stressed at the vets, and this was only with a single vet. For the most part, they just think it's cool to run around, but they get a bit mad when the vet handles them.

I'm not sure how well a couple of old days kit would take an operation. If the vet says there's a good chance, you might as well do it. If the risc of dying while in surgery is to great, there's really no reason for him to go trough the operation.
It all depends on the specific case.

I do know of chins that got a leg removed as very young, and they had no problem with it as adults

Good luck with it.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much for the advice!! When you say something is wrong with it.... what does that typically mean? (the kits are not imbred by any means at all... do you mean becuase it could be a runt?) He seems to be moving along ok right now, but I am going to try to get him to the vet in the morning. I just dont know about amputations either - hes so young... and I dont know if he would survive - but I cant just put him down without trying to do something.

By the way - if I have to bottle feed... do you know if KMR kitten milk replacer is an ok supplement? One vet said yes, another gave me another brand.... and then online it says use evaporated milk. Any advice? Thanks so much again... I just hope he turns out ok.

~Chinchilli Day...

What's your excuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I have used KMR, and it works very well. Some say to use the things you use for human babies, but I do not belive there's enough nutrition in this.
And if you'r not sure about this, you need to feed a baby chinchilla roughly every 2 hours, and they need about 0,2 ml at the time (very small ammount )

When I say something may be wrong, it's just that some times there will be something wrong with the kid you can't see, but mom will know something is wrong, and she can do some different things.
One is to accedently chew of parts of the kit, but she may also deny the kit any milk. If mom knows there's a problem (you can see she acts strange twoards the kit), you might as well put it to sleep.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Tags
amputation, baby, chinchilla, nursing