baby emergency - mum with mastitis - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

baby emergency - mum with mastitis

one of my chins gave birth to three gorgeous babies last Tuesday (unexpectedly - they were both supposed to be boys, fluffy was actually sexed as a boy by three different people when we got him to be chinchi's best friend and chinchi is about twice the size of fluffy, we just though fluffy's a standard size male.. chinchi's quite a big chin)

now, we've been weighing them since thursday (tried wednesday but the scales we had in were highly inaccurate so got new ones)

on thursday night (2 days old), they weighed 40g, 46g and 47g. on friday (3 days old), they weighed 38g, 45g and 48g. i was really concerened as skinny doesn't really have much weight to lose and the other two run about a lot more, their tails are curling a lot more too. we tried taking the two bigger ones out to give him the chance to feed but every time he called her, she either ignored him or he couldn't find a teat or not tried. weighed him again at midnight, he was 37g.

we took them to the vets this morning - skinny weighed 36g, the other two 43g & 48g, and fluffy does have mastitis on one of her teats so can't feed from that one and it obviously hurts - she just runs if they attempt to get milk out of that one.

we got some formula for lambs and fed skinny - he's not keen on sucking but he does lick fingers! when we put him back in with his mum and took the other two out, she licked his face clean and let him feed for quite a while.
i also managed to find a farm with sheep that can be milked and they were happy for me to come round and get some - they even let me milk the sheep!!! pretty amazing. they also gave me a formula for 'needy lambs' to add to the milk. they're happy for me to come round every few days and get some more - such nice people!!!

we fed skinny (late afternoon) - he was still 36g (before and after), i was quite pleased that he'd not lost any weight. we fed him again two hours later and he was 37g after the feed. when we put him back, he had a bit of his mum's milk but he was going for the sore boob and she kept running away. we fed the middle one as well as his weight went down to 42g - he is much more active than skinny, he actually takes the bottle.

i put warm compress on fluffy's inflamed boob and massaged it - she wasn't exactly keen but hopefully it will help. i've added a bottle of 1/2 apple juice (couldn't get sugarfree cranberry) 1/2 water into the cage as well.

has anyone got experience with supplementing feeding? how much weight should they be putting on when hand fed? is it still 1-2g per day? we will feed him every two hours - i guess it's a good thing that he's actually eating and that he appears to have stopped losing weight (i so hope he'll still weigh 37g before his next feed)

i am very concerned because he's only 36/37g. has anyone had a 4-day baby that weighed this little?

sorry about the essay, i just wanted to give you all the info.

thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

A tea bag may help mom with mastitis. Place the tea bag in hot water then let it cool and then apply it to mom's teet/s. She may not be able to nurse her babies and they may all require hand feeding.

I've never heard of sheep milk being used for chin kits, only Goat's milk.

If the kit/s are gaining or at least staying at the same weight until the next day they may survive. Offer the kits loose hay. They will eat it when they are very young. I have had a 4 day old baby who was 37 grams who did well with hand feeding.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for your reply! mum seems to be on the mend - every time we check, she's in with the babies and she seems to be nursing - skinny didn't want to feed at 8am so we thought maybe he just had some mummy milk and by 10am he'd put on a gram without any hand feed! and so did the other two - we tried hand feeding them all, the middle one's really good (though even he didn't take as much as before) and the chunkster is not keen on hand feeding at all.

i will try the tea bag if her boob still is sore - what a good idea! poor fluffy, she's all new to this and triplets are not easy!

i googled what milk you can use before taking them to the vets and checked with the vet. the lamb formula we bought before we got the fresh milk is also suitable for goats - perhaps the milk is very similar? i tried to get fresh goat milk but all the people with goats had goats too old to have milk.

skinny is moving a lot more - he's a proper wiggler now when you try to feed him. before, he moved, but would stay reasonably still when being hand fed, i take it's a good sign!

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh, also, do i need to give the babies water if they're eating hay? fluffy's water bottle is higher up together with her pellets etc so the babies can't get to them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Glad mom is doing better. Sometimes kits will drink some of their mom's water. You might want to put a water bottle within their reach.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
baby, chinchilla, hand feeding, mastitis