Badly Injured Leg - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:03 AM
Lycidas

Injured Leg

On Thursday night I came home to find my young male chinchilla, Wanzi, stuck in his cage. He is in a Martins cage, mesh is 1 x 1/2. The best we can figure is he fell asleep, he was in the top back corner, and his foot slipped through and when he woke up and tried to get out he got stuck. He managed to rub it down to the bone while struggling. I immediately rushed him to the ER vet just knowing it was broken, thinking the worst, that we'd have to amputate. The vet gave him a shot of anti-inflammatory, Vit C and antibiotics, took X-rays and put ointment on it and wrapped it. It's not broken, just badly injured. We've been giving him antibiotic (sulfa broad spectrum, after reading here I requested NO baytril) orally twice a day but he absolutely hates it and is now biting us so last night we took him back in and asked for injectables.

The bottom part of his foot is healing well, it's scabbing nicely and the swelling is down, but the back of what would be our ankle - the BONE is showing, so we have to keep medicine on it and "stimulate" it to grow back over. The bottom part is scabbed and looking good but he wouldn't quit trying to chew on it on the ride home so we went ahead and put more meds on it and bandaged it too. He's putting weight on it but not really using it. We let him out to run last night in the bedroom which I think made him a lot happier. I have been worried because all I can get him to eat is hay and oats - when I hand feed them to him - I am also trying to give yogurt but he hates that too!! (He's being a very uncooperative patient!) I'm going to keep him in the small cage and let him out every night, as we think that him trying to use it will also help it heal. The big part now is getting that skin to grow back over. I'll try to get some pics tonight if anyone wants to see.

If you got this far, thanks for reading!! I am feeling really guilty even though my SO keeps telling me there's no way I could have prevented it. I am starting to believe him, I mean, I have him in the best cage there is, supposedly, so it's just a freak accident, I guess. If any of you have any suggestions as to anything I could/should be doing differently, please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:27 AM

If you don't mind me asking what flavor yogurt are you using? I have found with my chinnies they will take the Dannon Strawberry Banana with very little fighting.
It sounds like you are doing everything that you can for him. I hope that his foot continues to heal and that the skin grows back over the bone.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Lycidas

I am not sure of the brand right now but I do know the flavor is strawberry banana! I don't think it's the flavor that bothers him as much as the texture of it. He's put off by it because of the oral meds I think. Would it help to mix the yogurt with crushed food or anything? I hate having to force anything on him but I'm worried cause his poos are tiny and VERY green, I'm guessing cause all he's eating is hay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:57 AM

When I have had to handfeed (forcefeed) I have ground up pellets, oats, manna and mixed with the yogurt, if I need it a little thinner I add a little water or juice.
His poos are probably smaller because of the antibiotics, the yogurt should help his poos. The way that I was taught was antibiotics and two hours later give 2 cc of yogurt. If he is only getting antibiotics once a day I would still try to get the yogurt into him twice a day.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:15 AM
Lycidas

Oh, I have also been putting apple juice in his water bottle to get him to drink. I will continue the yogurt.. his poor fur is a mess. I will try that food mixture tonight and see how it goes.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:41 PM

Lycidas,

You SO is correct, you are in no way to blame for what happened, so put that out of your mind. Chins, like other animals, can sense our moods and distress and it will affect them and their recovery.

You are doing everything you can for now. The only thing that I will mention is the yogurt. You need to check the contents label and make sure that it has L.Acidophillus and L.Bacillus (sp?) live cultures in the yogurt. These cultures are the important part because they put the good bacteria back in your chin's digestive tract and this will help to stimulate appetite. I would also recommend wrapping him in a towel for feeding and med time, and use a feeding syringe to feed him, especially if you are going to make a mush from the ingredients recommended. And of course, watch for ANY signs of infection (swelling, redness, oozing, etc). With an open wound such as he has, infection can set in quickly.

Best wishes to you and your chinnie! I hope that he makes a full recovery.

John
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Lycidas

Thank you!

Yes, I made sure it has live cultures. He is in a small cage on a sheet that I change daily. I have been using a syringe for the yogurt - but I don't actually get much in his mouth! LOL What is the absolute least amount he needs? I think someone mentioned 2 cc's twice a day? That's a lot of yogurt...does anyone know how much yogurt he needs per how much medicine? He's getting a 1/10 of a cc each night through injection.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

How is he doing today.I hope he gets better quick.Accidents happen with any pets.Don't blame yourself I don't feel it was your fault. To the little one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Lycidas

Thanks!! He's doing better, I managed to get him to eat a bit of yogurt and some food mix. I also let him out to run for a few hours last night which really helped his spirits. He's under the blanket on my bed right now! LOL I'm a little less worried now that he's perked up a bit. I also did well with the shot, he didn't even jump!

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear it, Lycidas. I'm sure Wanzi will be fine.

Welcome to PT, by the way.

Stephanie

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Princess in Waiting

Injections

Glad to hear that you did okay with the injections - sometimes people get a bit squeemish about sticking a needle into an animal, even when they know it is for the best.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with him. Most of my chin knowledge has come from here and a couple of books, but it sounds like you are taking a very common sense approach. And if you have faith in your doctor you've got a lot going for you.

Keep us posted on how he's doing. And get rid of that guilt demon! It could happen to anyone - even the most experienced breeders have things like that happen for unknown reasons. Maybe this is giving you a lesson you need to learn in caring for your baby. I know someone who breeds birds and one of her most expensive cockatiels got out of the cage during the night and decided to sit on a much bigger parrot's cage. He lost a toe, but he survived and is back to his old ways now.

Critter
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Proud New Mommy

how is he doing today? lol sorry i havnt been posting on here- ive just been lurking and reading what u guys have had to say

hope hes doing better!!

welcome to PT

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Lycidas

He's doing much better - actually eating a little. As long as I give him lots of time outside his cage he seems happier. I have started doing Hydrotherapy, also, as suggested by another forum member. Just holding his leg under warm running water for a minute or so before we re-wrap it. The bone is still showing, I guess it will take a long time for that to heal. He does well with his shots except for wigging out a little right after I give it to him.

I am still giving yogurt and we're still putting the Nitroglycerine stuff on it each time we re-wrap it, which is every other day. Last night after I ran water on it I let him run on it unwrapped and he did pretty good. He can move it, it's just that where that bone is exposed I'm guessing the muscles are damaged too.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Proud New Mommy

gosh, i cant believe he managed to hurt himself like that... im glad to hear he is doing alot better and that u sound like ya know exactly what ur doing- cuz hes turning around and giving us a nice recovery! keep us updated on how he is doing Lyc!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Daffodil

It sounds like you're doing a great job. One of my chins got badly injured from one of my cats (I thought I had done enough to prevent that, but evidently didn't). I understand your guilty feelings, but you will let those go in time.
I'm a vet student at Auburn and took my chin to see the clinicians there. We could see some bones on his foot when he was injured. We didn't bandage his foot. What we did was I kept him on either a towel (in the beginning) or pelleted litter later. I soaked his foot three times a day in warmed dilute betadine solution. He didn't seem to mind that too badly. It is supposed to help debride the wound and stimulate healing at the same time. It worked very well for him. You might want to mention that idea to your vet and see what he says.
Also, if you have any problems like this in the future, here are some things that helped me. I hand fed baby food -- pineapple and sweet potato were the easiest to get him to eat. I also tried the Critical Care formula from Oxbow, which has the probiotics already in it, but my chin refused to eat that. Yogurt is just as good for the probiotics and much cheaper. Make sure your chin keeps drinking so he won't get dehydrated. If you need to, you can always give subcutaneous fluids. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Good luck nursing him back to health. You're doing a great job so far!
P.S. I would love to see some pictures of the wound.

Tags
dark brown